"What matters Most" photo comp, ends 21st June 08

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

"What matters Most" photo comp, ends 21st June 08

Postby paulmac on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:58 pm

Folks

There is a photo competition being run by Relationships Australia and the Weekend Australian Magazine.

http://www.relationships.com.au/news-items/what-matters-most-photographic-competition.html

I'd like to point out that I have absolutely no connection with this. I was emailed the link, and I thought I'd pass it on.
I have not read the terms and conditions in the paper, and I don't know who keeps the rights to your pictures.

With a prize pool of $10,000, I thought there might be some interest...
paulmac

Re: "What matters Most" photo comp, ends 21st June 08

Postby myarhidia on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:12 pm

including moral rights.....

Each entrant assigns to the Promoter all copyright and other intellectual property rights in each photo and description sent in as part of an entry in this competition. Each entrant acknowledges that the Promoter, as owner of the copyright in the photographs and descriptions, may reproduce the photographs and the descriptions in any media or marketing for any purpose without permission or payment. The entrants agree to waive all their rights, including moral rights, in the photographs entered by the entrants in this competition.
Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
myarhidia

Location: Kingsgrove, Sydney, So where the bloody hell are you?

Postby paulmac on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:29 pm

There you go.

Ta muchly for finding the rules of entry.

For the benefit of me and I'm sure many others, I get the impression that this is this a fairly standard thing. How do you deal with this issue, apart from not entering?
paulmac

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:04 am

paulmac wrote:For the benefit of me and I'm sure many others, I get the impression that this is this a fairly standard thing. How do you deal with this issue, apart from not entering?

What I have found is that, quite often, non-photographic organisations such as newspapers, Telcos, ISPs, Sony, etc have T&C which involve the entrant giving up all rights. Some would argue, cynically, that this is to provide the promotor cheap stock photos.

"Real" photographic competitions (Head On, Moran, etc) that I have seen tend to retain copyright with the photographer, only requiring limited promotional rights.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Return to Events