Feb MaxiMeet (SYD) - Details

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Feb MaxiMeet (SYD) - Details

Postby sheepie on Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:02 pm

OK - as promised, we've worked out some details and timing. Now we need to work out who's coming!

Please have a look at the timetable below and then register your name and what you want to do in this thread. I'll then sort out final numbers and advise who's confirmed by the end of Jan.

Saturday Feb 16th 2008 - PICNIC POINT, Sydney (I'll let you know full location by PM if you're confirmed)...
10:00 am - Walk to Georges River National Park for those interested, duration about an hour and a half to two hours
10:30 am - Matt's Photoshop Tutorial starts (max about 6-8 ppl)
11:00 am - Basic Lighting Workshop with Gary (max about 3 or 4 ppl at a time) - the lights will remain setup for the day, so feel free to experiment
12:00 pm - Light lunch (bangers and a couple of salads)
1:00 pm - Photoshop Tutorial continues with more advanced features, and printing
2:00 pm - Workflow using Lightroom, using photo's from National Park walk as subject matter
4:00 pm - Wrap-up

Note that preference for the photoshop tutorial will be given to those who have no real idea of what they're doing with photoshop - if you've been through one of Matt's walk-throughs before please leave this one for those that haven't!
The workflow session can probably deal with a few more, as it's more a walkthrough than a tutorial.

If anyone is interested in a proper Matte cutting and Framing demo / workshop then please let me know - I may have someone who really knows what they're doing willing to come along and help out.

So, for numbers - we'll play it by ear for the National Park walk, Photoshop Tutorial is 8 ppl max, and lighting and general chat we can fit maybe 10 or so - so let's see how we go with registrations from here on in :)

Oh - and any out of towners that might want to join in, please PM me and I'll make sure we work something out ;)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Re: Feb MaxiMeet (SYD) - Details

Postby radar on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:52 pm

Sheepie,

I'm interested in Matt's Photoshop tutorial. I'm interested in workflow discussion in general but I don't have Lightroom and don't plan to get it so if you have someone else that specifically wants to sit in on the Lightroom part, I'm happy to sit out of that section.

As far as Photoshop is concerned, I've installed it and did some printing through it but that is the extent of my Photoshop knowledge so I would classify as to not knowing what I'm doing in Photoshop :?

Thanks,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby phillipb on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:58 pm

Interested in the Walk to Georges River National Park but happy to withdraw if numbers too high.

Thanks Leon

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby joet on Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:58 pm

I still want to attend Matt's Photoshop sessions, but will step down if the numbers prove to be a problem 8)

Leon, do you want Chryssine to bring the usual goodies for lunch :?:
Regards

Joe
joet
500 posts - only 6 years to go

Location: 2/163 Booker Bay Rd, Booker Bay, NSW Nikon D70, D300

Postby glennles on Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:09 pm

I'm really interested in coming along. I know there were a lot of people who put up their hands before me so, if numbers permit, I'll be there. I'd like to do the walk and lighting, and meet a few of you blokes :)
glennles

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:18 pm

As I will be learning why most people shouldn't be managing their own superannuation on that day, I won't be going. However, I can attest that those who attend Gary's lighting workshop will be quite p#$sed off - the results you get will strongly encourage you to buy your own lighting kit! :twisted: :twisted:
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Oz_Beachside on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:45 pm

interested to attend photoshop with MattK.
Oz_Beachside

Postby Oscar on Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:34 am

I, too, am interested in Matt's Photoshop tutorial. I'm interested in workflow discussion in relation to Photoshop (I don't have Lightroom and not planning to get it).
Have had a go at Photoshop but need lots of beginner guidance. Would also be interested in the second session on Photoshop with the advanced features.

Cheers, Mick
Oscar

Postby dawesy on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:10 am

I am still interested in this. Primarily the photoshop component, but also the lighting session as I do have a lighting kit and little knowledge of how to use it.

I have photoshop as some basic idea of using it, but mostly using the guess check and refine method. PP is an area I am keen to strengthen.
dawesy

Postby dviv on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:12 am

I'm keen on the Photoshop tutorial if there is still space :)
7D, 60D, 70-200mm f/4LIS, 17-50mm f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 580EX II
dviv

Postby whitey on Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:04 pm

sheepie wrote:10:00 am - Walk to Georges River National Park for those interested, duration about an hour and a half to two hours

I am interested in the walk, would give me a chance to test out my new camera (hopefully will have it by then). Do you allow total newbies? ;)
D80, 50mm F/1.8, 18-70mm DX, Sigma 10-20mm
whitey

Postby Viz on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:37 pm

I am interested in the walk, lighting and lightroom. But i am quite happy to step aside for any.
Dan The Batch Automator
Viz

Postby gstark on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:54 pm

deadgoose wrote:
sheepie wrote:10:00 am - Walk to Georges River National Park for those interested, duration about an hour and a half to two hours

I am interested in the walk, would give me a chance to test out my new camera (hopefully will have it by then). Do you allow total newbies? ;)

Allow?

Positively encourage.

And - this is Leon's call, because it's his place and he needs to be able to control the numbers - but we even give newbies a 75% discount. :)

And the usual "double your money back if not satisfied" also still applies. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby W00DY on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:19 am

I think I would be more interested in Matt's more advanced photoshop workshop later in the year, so happy to step out of this one as numbers seem HUGE !!!

Do we have any idea of rough dates for this though? I seriously need it :oops:
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby ABG on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:13 am

I'd like to attend the walk and the Lightroom workflow session.
ABG

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:38 pm

If it's not too late I would like to go & be part of the photoshop session. I have CS2, but at best have no idea what to do with it.
If not in time for this, then both the walk and the lighting are of interest.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby NSWESP on Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:46 pm

I would LOVE to come. I have CS3 on order and am new to lighting so it would suit me great. If there is space left i would truely love to come.

Thanks.
NSWESP

Postby Yi-P on Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:54 pm

I'm keen in coming for the shoot and some advanced photoshop and lightroom session. :)
Yi-P

Postby whitey on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:24 am

Looks like I may be away this weekend. Trying to shift some stuff. Probably best to take me off the interested list for the time being :(
whitey

Postby sheepie on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:53 am

Reminder that anyone wanting to come to this must register their preference for what they're doing IN THIS THREAD - even if you've already stated it in the old thread. I'll be adding things up soon, so get your names down!
sheepie
Key Member

Postby NSWESP on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:49 pm

I am interested in Photoshop and Lighting parts, How easy is public transport from the CBD to the meet location?
NSWESP

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:05 am

f anyone is interested in a proper Matte cutting and Framing demo / workshop then please let me know - I may have someone who really knows what they're doing willing to come along and help out.

I can bring along my framing gear (well the portable stuff anyway ) if there is a need. But since I hope to be in the Photoshop/lighting workshops, I can't see my way clear to doing demos/workshop. Maybe another meet?

Also, my Nobex (hand saw) may be for sale. I have just bought a Kapex (Power Saw), and am currently assessing it as a replacement. PM me if interested.
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby radar on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:16 am

I would be interested in the matte cutting side of things but being in the photoshop workshop, I'm happy to come earlier or stay later if one can be organised.

Thanks,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Glen on Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:42 pm

Leon, I would be interested in Gary's lighting workshop if space permits
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Viz on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:44 pm

Apologies, I double booked. I've long had tickets to a gig that day. Have fun guys. I was looking forward to it.
Dan The Batch Automator
Viz

Postby sheepie on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:55 pm

I'll be sorting out final numbers tonight - if you want to come and haven't put anything down in this thread then do so NOW!

Ta :)
sheepie
Key Member

Postby virgal_tracy on Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:05 pm

Want to but last game of cricket before finals. Need to play to ensure top 2 position. I'll wait to hear how it turns out.
Cheers,
Vince

Space: the final frontier
virgal_tracy

Postby Shoot on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:20 pm

Id like very much to attend the walk, but more so the Photoshop Tutorials if possible im quite lost when it comes to any sort of PP except levels etc and even them im just fiddling till something looks half decent. I understand that numbers are a consideration so if there is room left id love to come along :-)
If you’re alone with your friend in the woods and a tiger’s chasing you, you don’t have to be faster than the tiger, you have to be faster than your friend.
Shoot

Postby ATJ on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:41 pm

Leon,

I'd like to come. Please put me down as a maybe. Or you can just put me down. ;)
ATJ

Postby Steffen on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:52 pm

If it's not too late I'd like to sign up for the walk and the Lightroom workshop.

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby NSWESP on Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:29 pm

I need to know where it is and how far from a train station before i can confirm... sorry
NSWESP

Postby Glen on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:19 pm

Hi ESP, it is in Picnic Point as stated by Sheepie in the first post. Sorry cant help with distance from a railway station but I am sure Sheepie will chime in.

Could you put your location in your profile? It is a mandatory requirement of this forum, here being a good example of why. There may be someone in your suburb going who could help with a lift.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby ATJ on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:33 pm

ATJ

Postby sheepie on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:56 pm

NSWESP wrote:I need to know where it is and how far from a train station before i can confirm... sorry

Sorry - missed your earlier post asking this...

We're about 2km walk from the station - there's a bus which stops not far from here that leaves the station hourly at 19 past (you'd get here around 10:30).

I'll be sending full details a bit later.

Once we know where you're leaving from we may be able to get some better transport organised for you :)
sheepie
Key Member

Postby gstark on Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:29 am

sheepie wrote:
NSWESP wrote:I need to know where it is and how far from a train station before i can confirm... sorry

Sorry - missed your earlier post asking this...

We're about 2km walk from the station - there's a bus which stops not far from here that leaves the station hourly at 19 past (you'd get here around 10:30).

I'll be sending full details a bit later.

Once we know where you're leaving from we may be able to get some better transport organised for you :)

NSWESP: Please ensure that you have a meaningful location in your profile.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sheepie on Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:05 pm

OK - I have the following people down for the Photoshop session:

radar
joet
Oz_Beachside ???
Oscar
dawesy
dviv
Mr Darcy

Walk:
phillipb
glennles
ABG
Yi-P
Shoot
ATJ?
Steffen

Others (general get-together, lighting, otherwise involved in organising something, etc.):
Glen
MattK
Gary
Stubbsy
leigh
NSWESP

Anyone I missed?

EDIT: 11 Feb - Updated list
Last edited by sheepie on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
sheepie
Key Member

Postby NSWESP on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:15 pm

Im comming from Edgecliff in Sydney but may be coming from Palm Beach on the Northern Beaches, Not 100% sure but it doesnt mater i can be at either if there is transport lol Will fix up that other stuff now sorry.
NSWESP

Postby NSWESP on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:17 pm

Fixed my location. If anyone lives near either of these places and could give me a lift that would be awesome. Will confirm with dad tonight that i can come.
NSWESP

Postby whitey on Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:58 am

Hi Sheepie - apologies but I will not be able to make it. :cry:

Good luck and hopefully i can catch up with you guys at the next one.
whitey

Postby NSWESP on Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:32 am

If the walk is any easy trip im in for sure, Wouldent mind photoshop/lightroom seminar but if not the main thing i want is the Lighting. Do we need to bring any food?

EDIT: I can confirm i can 100% Come. Interested in:
Walk (If its flat and short)
Photoshop (If possible)
Lighting (This is the main thing)

See you there.
NSWESP

Postby Yi-P on Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:10 pm

NSWESP wrote:If the walk is any easy trip im in for sure, Wouldent mind photoshop/lightroom seminar but if not the main thing i want is the Lighting. Do we need to bring any food?

EDIT: I can confirm i can 100% Come. Interested in:
Walk (If its flat and short)
Photoshop (If possible)
Lighting (This is the main thing)

See you there.

Please note that the walk is done from 10am - 11.30am and it clashes with photoshop (morning session) and lighting workshop at 11am... and I believe that they are also held in two different (but close enough) locations as well (walk and workshops).
Yi-P

Postby NSWESP on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:54 pm

Ooops my Sony. Is it possible for me to come on Photoshop and Lighting?
NSWESP

Postby aussichef on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:23 am

I'm afraid Garyiwill have to pull out of this weekend
My new hotel as head chef has a large dinner dance on the Saturday night with a 3 course meal
And all 3 owners will be over so i suppose i better be there hahahahah
will try to come to Sydney in the near future & catch up with you
Going to try & make it to Clipsal on the Sunday here in Adelaide though
warren aka aussichef
Nikon D50/D80 Nikon,MB-D80 70-200 2.8 VR,Sigma 18-50 2.8, Kenko 1.4x TC, 2 kit lenses ,Nikon 50mm f1.8 Nikon SB-600 Tamron 90mm 2.8 Canon 500D closeup lens
aussichef

Location: Port Vincent , and Tanunda South Australia,Australia

Postby sheepie on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:14 am

Updated the list above for latest info.

I'll send out contact details and full location via PM's tonight :)

NSWESP wrote:Im comming from Edgecliff in Sydney but may be coming from Palm Beach on the Northern Beaches, Not 100% sure but it doesnt mater i can be at either if there is transport
I'm sure we can at least organise a lift from the Train Station if you ring us when you're there
sheepie
Key Member

Postby gstark on Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:39 am

aussichef wrote:I'm afraid Garyiwill have to pull out of this weekend

Warren,

That's a shame. Don't your new bosses understand the concept of priorities? :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sheepie on Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:56 am

I've had this request from Matt...

MattK wrote:Is it OK if the meet is also a swap meet for those attending? They can bring things to swap and sell. A good way to pick up bargains and offload junk?

I have no problem with this at all, so feel free to bring along anything you may wish to part with (just don't leave it behind for me to get rid of!!!).
sheepie
Key Member

Postby Mr Darcy on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:38 am

Updated the list above for latest info.

I note you are down to six for the photo shop session. I would really like to transfer in to this if at all possible.
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby sheepie on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:23 am

Mr Darcy wrote:I note you are down to six for the photo shop session. I would really like to transfer in to this if at all possible.

Done :)
sheepie
Key Member

Postby Glen on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:29 am

sheepie wrote:I've had this request from Matt...

MattK wrote:Is it OK if the meet is also a swap meet for those attending? They can bring things to swap and sell. A good way to pick up bargains and offload junk?

I have no problem with this at all, so feel free to bring along anything you may wish to part with (just don't leave it behind for me to get rid of!!!).

Leon,

Maybe people could put up an advance list, if they chose, of what they were thinking of selling? Just so people could be prepared if there was a s/h 17-55, cash wise. Maybe a new thread for it?
Thank You
Glen

Postby NSWESP on Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:20 pm

I got plenty of stuff to bring for swap n sell. Cant wait lol

...Now who wants a used Tic Tac?
NSWESP

Next

Return to Events