EOI - A Film Day out

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Re: EOI - A Film Day out

Postby Yi-P on Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:27 pm

Sorry guys, some urgent family matters turned up and I have to opt out from this great chance of learning experience... :(

Hope you guys enjoy the day tomorrow!
Yi-P

Postby Reschsmooth on Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:57 pm

I had a great day today - it was good meeting up with a couple of new people and mucking around with some filum loading and developing. I learnt (from a third person perspective), that the greatest satisfaction is had when you screw up yourself, and not rely on others to screw up for you. :twisted:

Thanks Gary for running through the process of developing in such a straight forward manner, even if you don't use a chemical stop bath!
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby trotkiller on Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:14 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:
Thanks Gary for running through the process of developing in such a straight forward manner, even if you don't use a chemical stop bath!

Water stop is all win to be honest, not that stop is overly expensive :D

I processed the roll of 120 I shot today a hour or so ago, will post some scans when i get around to it....
trotkiller

Postby phoenix on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:06 am

This sounds like it was lots of fun. I haven't done any film stuff at all since my uni days. Ever since then it's all been digital. This would have been a blast. I wish i could have come! Looking forward to hearing from some more people that went.
phoenix

Postby gstark on Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:08 am

phoenix wrote:This sounds like it was lots of fun.

It was.

We started the day with a bulk loader, and ran through the process of going from having a 30M roll of film in a box, to having some cans of FP4 rolled and loaded in cameras.

Everyone then wandered off to do some shooting in Carrs Park for a couple of hours.

Stopped for lunch at a local fish and chippery, and then went to a local school for the fun part of the day: film dev.

We took some time to discuss the whole process, demonstrated (and practised) loading film into dev tank spools, and then loaded the film into 4 tanks. As the water temp was 24 - we wanted 20 - we also went through a process of how to cool-down the chems and using a water bath to keep it all constant. All good stuff.

At the end of the day we had lots of strips of negs to show for our efforts, and for me, at any rate, it was a very satisfying day's effort.

Well done, and thank you all.

I love the smell of hypo in the morning!
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozczecho on Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:33 am

It was an awesome day...great to meet fellow members and see some of their classic cameras. Gary was great at explaining the whole process to a film newbie like me. I havent used my film camera (Nikon F70) since about yr 2000 and back then it was all AUTO stuff and chemist developing....this was a great eye opener for me....now I need to source a scanner.....

Again thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge....I just wish I had some b&w shots to post to show you the result of our endevours....I will post some digitals later on 2night.....

Cheers
ozczecho

Postby Killakoala on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:49 pm

Thanks to all of you for a great day out. I really enjoyed reliving my youth? by doing this again. So much so that I have ordered some processing gear and chemicals today so I can do it all again and again and again :)

I have scanned my negs and I will post them shortly.

Mike, if you want your negs scanned, drop me a PM.

Thanks again.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby gstark on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:58 pm

Killakoala wrote: So much so that I have ordered some processing gear and chemicals today so I can do it all again and again and again :)

It's like that, isn't it? :o :o
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Events