Cityscapes

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Cityscapes

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:58 pm

Everytime I head over the Bolte bridge or even the westgate bridge I wish I could stop my car, setup a tripod and take a few shots of the city. From that height, with the lights as their are I think it would make for some spectacular shots. There is no stopping or pedestrians allowed on the bridges though, so I was wondering if anyone has any idea where in that area someone could set up with a clear view of the city skyline.

I know this is somewhat similar to the other active thread in this forum about forum member's favourite places but a lot more specific.

Thanks for any help.
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby Dargan on Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:02 pm

Very early in the morning, simulate a breakdown! Where theres a will theres a way.
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:04 pm

*laughs* Considered that.. also the girlfriend has offered to drive me up there and slow to 10km while I hang out the back window.. would be interesting to see anyway!
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby gstark on Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:12 pm

Dargan wrote:Very early in the morning, simulate a breakdown! Where theres a will theres a way.

Make sure you're in a VW Kombi to make it look truly authentic though. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby kipper on Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:16 pm

Just rock up in a van. Put out some witches hats, pop out a roadworks sign, and get two mate to stand on the road. One with a fluoro vest sign that reads slow, get the other to lean on a shovel.
kipper

Postby kipper on Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:18 pm

I could probably con my way into quite a few buildings that I've worked on in the past and say I'm there to do work on the roof :)
kipper

Postby Dargan on Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:23 pm

Excellent Kipper! maybe we could do one after the Xmas party on the Bridge
In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Re: Cityscapes

Postby Greg B on Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:20 pm

PlatinumWeaver wrote:Everytime I head over the Bolte bridge or even the westgate bridge I wish I could stop my car, setup a tripod and take a few shots of the city. From that height, with the lights as their are I think it would make for some spectacular shots. There is no stopping or pedestrians allowed on the bridges though, so I was wondering if anyone has any idea where in that area someone could set up with a clear view of the city skyline.

I know this is somewhat similar to the other active thread in this forum about forum member's favourite places but a lot more specific.

Thanks for any help.

YES! I know exactly what you mean. I travel interstate a fair bit, and I am in the taxi crossing bolte at maybe 6 am, beautiful, and heading home at 6,7,8pm, and I often think the same. In fact, tomorrow morning, I am off again, back Friday.

It seems that all the best vantage points around there are no go zones as far as stopping is concerned.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby tsanglabs on Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:50 pm

Speaking of Bolte bridge you can get a great angle of it travelling from melbourne city to port melbourne, off city link, from below at night. I saw this when going to go-karting but did not have my d70 with me. I must try again, however it is a bit scary as it is all industrial land around and not all that well lit.
tsanglabs

Postby BBJ on Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:12 pm

Hi I took this shot from a bridge, no westgate but yeh still no stopping still, it was late around midnight and had camera on the tripod already, mate was driving, he stopped put hazards on i jumped out fired 5 shots off and jumped back in car. threw camera on back seat of the SS and off we went.
taken in Adelaide
Cheers
John
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby birddog114 on Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:34 am

Greg B wrote:
PlatinumWeaver wrote:Everytime I head over the Bolte bridge or even the westgate bridge I wish I could stop my car, setup a tripod and take a few shots of the city. From that height, with the lights as their are I think it would make for some spectacular shots. There is no stopping or pedestrians allowed on the bridges though, so I was wondering if anyone has any idea where in that area someone could set up with a clear view of the city skyline.

Thanks for any help.

YES! I know exactly what you mean. I travel interstate a fair bit, and I am in the taxi crossing bolte at maybe 6 am, beautiful, and heading home at 6,7,8pm, and I often think the same. In fact, tomorrow morning, I am off again, back Friday.

It seems that all the best vantage points around there are no go zones as far as stopping is concerned.

GregB,
Buy yourself a set of flashing yellow light with a sign "Frequently stop" in the back of the car, done your hazard vest on and pretend you're a staff from RTA, who is doing the night survey on thos spots :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby endymion on Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:24 am

I drive across the Westgate every morning. It is a form of torture the number of great shots I've missed <sigh>. Unfortunately, stopping on the Westgate prompts the emergency vans which will happily give you a push to the other side, so your car would have to somehow lose its wheels. Alternatively, if you got a van and painted it up to resemble the breakdown van....
endymion

Postby Greg B on Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:26 am

Birddog114 wrote:GregB,
Buy yourself a set of flashing yellow light with a sign "Frequently stop" in the back of the car, done your hazard vest on and pretend you're a staff from RTA, who is doing the night survey on thos spots :lol:

Good suggestion Birdy! In fact, a series of official looking hazard vests and perhaps a hardhat could be the perfect additional photographic accessory.

It is like walking around an office with a clipboard, nobody is going to question.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby robw25 on Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:04 am

John

( threw camera on back seat of the SS and off we went. )

are you always that rough with the things you love ?

nice photo would look good up on your wall ?

cheers rob
robw25

Return to Melbourne