Great Ocean Road/Otways Mini Meet

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Would you like to attend a Great Ocean Rd mini meet?

Yes, but day trip only! (November)
25%
Yes, but day trip only! (December)
No votes
Yes, but day trip only! (Janurary)
No votes
Yes, bring on the weekend holiday! (November)
50%
Yes, bring on the weekend holiday! (December)
13%
Yes, bring on the weekend holiday! (Janurary)
6%
No, I'm not leaving the city!
6%

Total votes : 16

Great Ocean Road/Otways Mini Meet

Postby embi on Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:17 am

Would you be interested in a trip down the coast along the Great Ocean Rd maybe into the Otways?

There are many many photo opportunties including rain forest, shipwreck coast and the rolling hills of farming land.

We could make this into a mini meet field trip.

I imagine this might include a VERY early morning (sunrise) or a late night (sunset).

Maybe in November before it gets to close to the silly season or after xmas.

It could be a weekend trip, stay a sat night somewhere and that means we have both a sunset and sunrise opportunity, or a just a long day trip.

So are you interested?
"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're probably not close enough." Robert Capa.

D70 - Nikon 18-70 (Kit Lens), 50mm f1.4, 70-300G, SB-800, Manfrotto 190D tripod, 141RC head, and 676B monopod.
embi

Postby embi on Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:20 am

Well I'll go first. I am up for a weekend trip and we will have the Prado by then so there will be room for 3 others if anyone needs a lift.
"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're probably not close enough." Robert Capa.

D70 - Nikon 18-70 (Kit Lens), 50mm f1.4, 70-300G, SB-800, Manfrotto 190D tripod, 141RC head, and 676B monopod.
embi

Postby Nicole on Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:27 am

That's funny because Mudder, Dean (PlatinumWeaver) and I were discussing this last weekend. I think it's a great idea and to make it worthwhile my preference would be a weekend trip.

It may be best to avoid the school holidays as things will probably be pretty busy down there after Christmas.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby kipper on Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:30 am

I'd prefer a weekend trip and as Nicole said, when it's not a school holiday :)

Oh and don't make it the Melbourne Cup weekend as I'll be minding the house (with animals) and probably playing with a new toy.

Also Dec 10th weekend is the Sydney Xmas Dinner meet so that's out aswell.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby baboo on Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:35 am

I would love to attend but will only be in Melbourne until the end of October. :( :( :cry: :cry:
baboo

Postby Aussie Dave on Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:57 am

I would be interested however, with the twins still being so young I could not make a firm commitment "at this stage".

Also, a day trip would probably suit my circumstances better, but I would be happy to meet up with everyone & join in for one of the days (Saturday, more than likely), if I could not make the entire weekend !

Perhaps 2nd or 3rd week of November ?? Melb Cup is 01/11 and 4th term for Vic schools is 3 Oct–21 Dec, so there wouldn't be any school holidays happening at that time.....just a thought ?!?!?
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby kipper on Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:18 am

No but being a long weekend, most people have the mon/tue off, and some of us lucky people have the wednesday off too. So they usually put it to good use and go away for the weekend. I know some of the blokes in my company do, and I'm sure the thousands of other workers in the building industry do too.

Edit:

Oh and if we go to Great Ocean Rd, here is another limitation October onwards. Just taken my 18-70MM DX back to Teds today and it's been sent to Camera Clinic and they said 2-4weeks but sometimes longer :(
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby waspo on Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:21 pm

Ooow, ooow...I'm in for the weekend anytime at this stage.
Thanks for setting this up, embi/Mark. :D
I'll keep a close eye on this one. Looks like Novembers maxing out! :lol:
Cheers, Jase. :D
waspo

Location: Bentleigh East, Melbourne - SuPeR NikoN D7o aBuSeR!

Postby mudder on Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:30 pm

Woo hoo... This would be a ball... Is there a preference for coast lines or waterfalls? Will have to work out the exact dates, it's a bit in the future at the moment but it'd be fun, and I know some good multi-room apartments we've stayed at :)
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby embi on Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:35 pm

I imagine we could do both Waterfalls and Coastlines. One day at each place!

embi

Postby Alex on Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:39 pm

Great idea. I'm in at this stage (can't make a firm comittment yet though). I will be away in Thailand Oct 15-Nov. 7 though.

Cheers
Alex
Alex

Postby genji on Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:22 pm

my pref is for late dec, early jan, long weekend. I'm not allowed to anywhere far from now till late nov...biggist day of my life coming up... :) :) :( :(
[every man's work is always a portrait of himself.
Ansel Adams, Carmel, California, 1979]
genji

Postby birddog114 on Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:26 pm

genji wrote:my pref is for late dec, early jan, long weekend. I'm not allowed to anywhere far from now till late nov...biggist day of my life coming up... :) :) :( :(

Are you serving week end or periodic detention? :lol: :lol:
What have you done?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby redline on Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:31 pm

genji wrote:my pref is for late dec, early jan, long weekend. I'm not allowed to anywhere far from now till late nov...biggist day of my life coming up... :) :) :( :(

are you getting married? or picking up a new camera?
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:07 pm

redline wrote:are you getting married? or picking up a new camera?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Which would be the preferred option?
(Rhetorical question - I know the answer. Besides Mrs cricketfan might read this post :wink: )
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby genji on Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:11 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Are you serving week end or periodic detention? :lol: :lol:
What have you done?

appearantly they made an in error in my processing, all childrens of migrants where to be locked up for indefinite period...i was one of the luck ones!!

but seriously...just getting married

:)
genji

Postby PiroStitch on Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:21 pm

congratulations genji :) lol "just" getting married...if it doesn't sound that important, I suggest skipping it and going to the GOR meet since it's just a casual get together.... :P

I'm in at this stage but will confirm once more details have been posted :)
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby redline on Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:26 pm

your not planning to shoot your own wedding right?
redline

Postby genji on Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:33 pm

redline wrote:your not planning to shoot your own wedding right?
 LOL

i had plan to shoot my own wedding, but my eye got in the way of a fist!!

joolz's wedding photog partner is taking photos for that day, i;ve know him for awhil, since uni..
genji

Postby embi on Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:07 pm

Why do you think I didnt have oct as an option for this event?? My wedding day is Oct 1st :)

embi

Postby genji on Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:11 pm

embi wrote:Why do you think I didnt have oct as an option for this event?? My wedding day is Oct 1st :)
 LOL
congrats mate,
i notice that nov is the fav for most ppl,
could you edit the survey to get rid of nov??? :D :D
Last edited by genji on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
genji

Postby redline on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:39 pm

congrats man,
hopfully married life doesn't change you too much :)
redline

Postby embi on Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:23 pm

I'm sure I need a VR lens for the wedding pics :)

embi

Postby embi on Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:24 pm

Ok November is the month of choice.....

Any ideas of which weekend.

I know the 1st of november is Melb Cup day (Tuesday) but that leaves us the weekends of 5/6, 12/13, 19/20, 26/27.

We will make this a weekend trip and those who can only make a day trip can come for which ever day they choose. Covers both groups then.

We need accomodation ideas.

Lets get cracking and work on this in the next week or so.

embi

Postby mudder on Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:30 pm

embi wrote:..which (November) weekend.
I know the 1st of november is Melb Cup day (Tuesday) but that leaves us the weekends of 5/6, 12/13, 19/20, 26/27.
We will make this a weekend trip and those who can only make a day trip can come for which ever day they choose. Covers both groups then.

We need accomodation ideas.

Lets get cracking and work on this in the next week or so.

I know a place in Apollo Bay that would be great for a group, the Butter Factory (yeah I know, strange name) but very nice multi-bedroom apartments, very well setout and not expensive for a few people in each... Depends on which town you want to stay in... There's also very nice apartments in Port campbell which is closer to the Apostle's and things for an early start there if u wanted...

To do both coastline sun-rises and sunsets, maybe you could do waterfalls during the day if it's cloudy... Would need to car pool though with those that have 4WD's for some good spots like Lake Elizabeth, Hopetoun and Beauchamp falls...

There's some beautiful spots down there, what are other's wants? I'll help organise if you need a hand... I reckon it would be a great fun week-end thing :)

Oh, I can't make the Oct 7 - 9, or Oct 28 - Nov 1 week-ends though, I'll be at Wilson's Prom the first week-end and the Grampians the second week-end on photographic workshops, can't wait. I think I'm becoming a work-shop junkie they're great fun :)

That should get that mossy ball rolling :)

Cheers.
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby Alex on Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:39 pm

I'm in on this, with the family provided it after the weekend of Nov. 4 (I am away os until then).

Alex
Alex

Postby embi on Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:45 pm

mudder wrote:I know a place in Apollo Bay that would be great for a group, the Butter Factory (yeah I know, strange name) but very nice multi-bedroom apartments, very well setout and not expensive for a few people in each... Depends on which town you want to stay in... There's also very nice apartments in Port campbell which is closer to the Apostle's and things for an early start there if u wanted...

I am easy with accom, so as more people make suggestions about different places to stay I will make a list and do some enquires. I will see what deals we can get.

One place I have stayed (10yrs ago) is in the middle of the otways and the shipwreck coast. It was great way back then but it may have changed a lot.

GLENAIRE LOG CABINS (Lavers Hill Area)
Tariff: From $85 double. Self Catering
Log Cabin Lodges. 2 Bedroom, open wood fires,
D/Washer, Electric Stove, W/Machine, Gas BBQ
90 acres beautiful bush, lovely views of valley
to Southern Ocean. Glowworms, wildflowers & birds.

mudder wrote:To do both coastline sun-rises and sunsets, maybe you could do waterfalls during the day if it's cloudy... Would need to car pool though with those that have 4WD's for some good spots like Lake Elizabeth, Hopetoun and Beauchamp falls...

That sounds like a great idea. 2 days of coast and waterfalls. Also means daily travellers could do both as well. I will have the Prado and it is an 8 seater if 3 people are willing to sit in the rear. Might be better for 2.

mudder wrote:There's some beautiful spots down there, what are other's wants? I'll help organise if you need a hand... I reckon it would be a great fun week-end thing :)

I'll be counting on others to help get this going so any help is appreciated.

mudder wrote:Oh, I can't make the Oct 7 - 9, or Oct 28 - Nov 1 week-ends though, I'll be at Wilson's Prom the first week-end and the Grampians the second week-end on photographic workshops, can't wait. I think I'm becoming a work-shop junkie they're great fun :)

The suggested dates are 5/6, 12/13, 19/20, 26/27 of NOV so it fits into your schedule.

mudder wrote:That should get that mossy ball rolling :)

Cheers.

embi

Postby mudder on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:07 pm

Woo hoo, November week-ends are pretty free for me I think :) I'm in...
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby DaveB on Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:53 am

mudder wrote:Woo hoo, November week-ends are pretty free for me I think :) I'm in...
Same here...
DaveB

Postby embi on Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:18 pm

Ok .... November is the month to go as long as its not the first week because of Melbourne cup.

Due to my wedding in less than 2 weeks now I havent had a chance to look into accomodation. I apologise for this. I will be very time poor from basically now till I get back from the honeymoon in NZ on Oct 16th.

Is there someone who would like to take on the role of accomodation hunter/event organiser?

embi

Postby mudder on Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:25 pm

embi wrote:Ok .... November is the month to go as long as its not the first week because of Melbourne cup.

I just have to work out which week-ends I'm on-call for work...

embi wrote:Due to my wedding in less than 2 weeks now I havent had a chance to look into accomodation. I apologise for this. I will be very time poor from basically now till I get back from the honeymoon in NZ on Oct 16th.

Congrats! Enjoy yoru honeymoon... Do we get pics of that 8)

embi wrote:Is there someone who would like to take on the role of accomodation hunter/event organiser?

Spose it will depend on how many, what sort of accomodation is wanted, where etc... At that time of year we'll need to book in advance at any nicer places... I'll help if I can :)
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby DaveB on Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:55 pm

Any weekend EXCEPT the 26/27th will be good for me. I drive a Forester which can go somewhat off-road if that helps with transport for anyone.
Lake Elizabeth is somewhere I want to go, but there are lots of choices all along the coast.

Have a good day tomorrow embi!
DaveB

Postby jberth1 on Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:14 pm

hehe - I usually attend a mini-meet along the Great Ocean Road (wild dog rd...skeens creek rd... etc etc) every year, but it's of the 2 wheeled variety... 8) I've never had the time to actually stop and shoot anything, but now that you mention it, it does sound appealing.

The Apollo Bay hotel has some comfy accomodation, and provides a good feed in it's restaurant as well :) It only has about 5 rooms - we could probably book the place out !

Cheers

Justin
jberth1

Postby Jonesy on Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:22 pm

This sounds good, I am pretty free during November at this stage and would love to travel from this side and say Hi and join in! Thats if SA people are alowed to join in... I am a born and bred victorian if that helps
(so somewhere in the middle would be good... Apollo bay sounds great)
D4, D700, plus glass from 14mm to 200mm
Gaffa Tape is like the FORCE... it has a Light side, a Dark side and it holds the universe together
Jonesy

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:52 pm

Jonesy that's a great idea but don't want to step on Embi's toes about organising a interstate exchange meet :) Would be great tho.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby DaveB on Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:31 am

Well, it's been over a month with no activity in this thread.
Is there a plan?
DaveB

Postby embi on Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:51 am

sorry peoples ...with my recent wedding and honeymoon O/S I havent had time to look at this. I had actually forgotten. Is anyone else willing to get the ball rolling?

embi

Postby mudder on Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:08 am

I forgot all about this too! Has a specific week-end been decided on? Due to a change of leave plans and a couple of commitments (gottta squeeze in a couple of art exhibitions on 25-26 and hopefully Tassie the week-end after), I can only make the week-end of November 19-20.

Cheers.
Aka Andrew
mudder

Return to Melbourne