When is the next Melbourne meet?

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

When is the next Melbourne meet?

Postby olrac on Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:01 pm

Just wondering........
olrac

Postby stormygirl on Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:52 pm

You beat me to it! I have been wondering the same question myself.

Food or photography? What do people think? :D
stormygirl

Postby olrac on Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:56 pm

photography would be good

I am just new to the forum and photography so want to get as much photo time as possible
olrac

Postby embi on Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:13 pm

What about both ??
embi

Postby PiroStitch on Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:43 pm

With winter setting in, someone better decide soon ;) Somewhere cozy and warm but not too early in the morning please :evil:
PiroStitch

Postby olrac on Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:05 pm

both works for me :)
olrac

Postby endymion on Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:52 pm

I'd like to do both (which we managed last time)

Cheers,

Bruce
endymion

Postby joolz on Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:17 am

I'm not averse to some fotos & food. Although perhaps the former before the latter. Grease smears on the camera grip and lenses would be a bit tiresome to clean.
There was a suggestion of Old Kingdom for Peking Duck last time. I guess we could capture the Smith St lifestyle whilst there (as long as you hold onto your camera bags tightly).
Julian
joolz

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:51 pm

Shall we book a date in the next 2 to 3 weeks? I think if we finalise some sort of date, it should be relatively easier to agree on a meeting point...we'll take it further on from there.

The meeting point should be easy to get to for people who drive and people who don't. for the people who drive, cheap, safe and easy parking :)

So my suggestion is as follows:

When: On the weekend of the 9th and 10th of July
Where: TBA, maybe Fed Square? We could go for brekky then decide where to wander off to.

To the east is Birrarung Marr where there's a bit of development going on which could provide a few potential keepers.
To the west, it's Southbank, Crown, Docklands.
To the North, Melb Central, QV, Bourke St mall, etc.
To the South, is where our previous meeting was :oops:

I'd really like to get a meeting happening soon so that we can all put more faces to the names and welcome in the new members of Melbourne.
PiroStitch

Postby olrac on Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:56 pm

I like the idea of Fed Sq just a tram ride away......
olrac

Postby Greg B on Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:58 pm

Sunday is the easier day in terms of access and parking......
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby joolz on Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:31 pm

I'd also prefer the Sunday (have a wedding shoot on the 9th). Fed Square sounds good and slightly easier to find than our last one.
Julian
joolz

Postby olrac on Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:34 pm

sunday afternoon?

there was mention of breakfast but I am not sure if that means morning breakfast or afternoon breakfast
olrac

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:36 pm

As much as I hate to say it, I think the morning is better as there won't be as many people in the city at that time.
PiroStitch

Postby olrac on Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:55 pm

fair enough......

The way the weather has been the mornings have been great

so that is a plus too.

Just means I will have to drag my bum out of bed 10 mins before the meet hahahahahahaha to live close is blessing
olrac

Postby stormygirl on Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:29 pm

Sunday 10th July is already pencilled in the diary :D ! So, count me in!

The city would be a great place to photograph, and IMHO Fed Square sounds like a good place to meet. Anyone who hasn't been to a meet before, we really aren't that hard to find! Just look for the bunch of people with d70's around their necks and Lowerpro bags/backpacks. Trust me....I had no trouble last time!!

I recommend anyone who hasn't been to one, to come along. Even if you are a relative newbie to the digital world (like me)....it is a great way to meet people with the same interests and exchange lens lust! Also good to put faces to names!! :wink: I'm already looking forward to it....had a great time at the last one!
stormygirl

Postby olrac on Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:33 pm

Suits me what time????
olrac

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:47 pm

Alright let's finalise it then :) Stormygirl, you can pen and engrave it in your diary now ;)

Sunday 10th July
9am?
Fed Square - The Cafe next to the convenience store (711 i think). can't rmember the name of the cafe though :(
PiroStitch

Postby stormygirl on Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:59 pm

Sounds good Piro! I'm really not a morning person, but the earlier the better....might actually train it in, not sure of the closest free parking without having to tram it as well.

I think 9am sounds pretty good, we'll have to wait and see what others think.

Fed Square is fairly central. Not too far to walk to other places of interest. Should be good. Now I'll just have to convince stormybloke he has the kids for the morning....with the possibility of it extending into the afternoon! :lol:
stormygirl

Postby joolz on Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:49 pm

Probably the closest free parking is Alexandra/botanical gardens along St Kilda Rd.
Julian
joolz

Postby meicw on Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:39 pm

Sounds good to me. Written on my calendar as well.

Regards
Meicw
meicw

Postby Aussie Dave on Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:02 pm

I really wanted to try and make the next Melbourne Meet (which would be my first), however my wife and I are expecting our twins at any day, and the planned caeser is July 6, so I have a feeling my D70 will be busy taking 100's of shots of the new bubbs and I will be kept too busy to venture out taking photos.

Hopefully I can make it to the next one.

The city will be a great place for you all to shoot. There are numerous sites you could visit, including Parliament House, any of the subways, Chinatown, Queen Victoria Markets, I could go on and on....

Perhaps everyone could purchase a 2-hour Met ticket and you could use the tram/train system to quickly get you around the city ?? (just a thought)

I look forward to hearing how everyone enjoys their day and seeing LOTS of great pics from the meet :-)
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:20 pm

Don't worry about it Dave :) All the best to you and your wife for the great day. We'll make sure we double our camera clicking on your behalf that day.

Tickets are $2.50 all day on Sunday across all zones, so taht's a double bonus for taking PT and saving on parking. Now if only the trains ran more often...
PiroStitch

Postby Aussie Dave on Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:32 pm

PiroStitch wrote:Don't worry about it Dave :) All the best to you and your wife for the great day. We'll make sure we double our camera clicking on your behalf that day.

Tickets are $2.50 all day on Sunday across all zones, so taht's a double bonus for taking PT and saving on parking. Now if only the trains ran more often...

thanks Piro.

Perhaps you could take a group shot inside the train (or Tram) as it hurtles you all to your next destination ???

There is also lots of little alleyways in the city that would make for some interesting shots as well. The Old Melb. Exhibition Buildings always look good in photos, too.

I wonder if Ted's is open on a Sunday ?? They'd have heart failure if they saw a bunch of Nikon-clad photogs enter the store. They might even learn something from you all as well.....???

Talk about a Decisive Moment !!! :lol:
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby kipper on Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:34 pm

Why so early for, can we make it sort of lunch time onwards. I'd like to be able to drink without looking like some sort of person with an alcohol dependency. I remember Greg was talking about the last time we went that food and drink should be in order for the next meet.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:38 pm

We can always change the time Kipper but I guess two thirds majority will decide that :) I only suggested an earlier time because there'd be more people by the afternoon. I'm not an early riser as well but if I had to choose between getting out of bed early or having to deal with crowds, I'd pick early morning anytime.
PiroStitch

Postby ElTippo on Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:50 pm

PiroStitch wrote:Alright let's finalise it then :) Stormygirl, you can pen and engrave it in your diary now ;)

Sunday 10th July
9am?
Fed Square - The Cafe next to the convenience store (711 i think). can't rmember the name of the cafe though :(

Bugger, I'd hoped to make a Melbourne meeting but my wife works weekends and given my travel time from Mornington I'd have a hard time getting a baby sitter at 7am :)

Out of interest has there been any meets in the SE suburbs or down the peninsula way?
ElTippo

Postby embi on Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:59 pm

As long as something MAJOR doesn't lift its ugly head between then and now I and the better half will be there.
embi

Postby Greg B on Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:36 am

I hear you Darryl :D

However, early is probably good for having a bite then taking some photos. Maybe we can talk about having a meet for dinner at an eatery next time.

Sunday 10 July 9am sounds fine to me. I'm in.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Nicole on Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:12 pm

I like the mornings...except in winter because it's cold! Should be good fun. I'll be there.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby Alex on Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:55 pm

Count me in also.

Alex
Alex

Postby Jamie on Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:11 am

I might tag along if you all dont mind a newbie coming.

I have to warn you though, i know NOTHING about digital photography (yet) and i hate having my photo taken, so dont point a lens at me cos im likely to run away. :lol:

Ohh yes! If we are going to be taking public transport someone may have to show me how the ticketing system works, i havent used PT for years! :oops:

Jamie
Jamie

Postby Nikon boy on Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:38 am

O.K. Count we two in, 9am Federation Square ,cafe next to 7-11,10/07/05
is that correct? , anyone think nametags are a good idea,?
Nikon boy Norman
Nikon boy

Postby stormygirl on Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:47 am

Jamie wrote:I might tag along if you all dont mind a newbie coming.

I have to warn you though, i know NOTHING about digital photography (yet) and i hate having my photo taken, so dont point a lens at me cos im likely to run away. :lol:

Jamie

We were all newbies at some stage, so please don't worry about that! I have only been to 1 meet, and everyone made me feel very welcome. Also dont worry about knowing nothing about digital photography....a meet is a wonderful opportunity to talk about techniques and be shown how to do it......we all have to start somewhere. I'm still learning!
stormygirl

Postby PiroStitch on Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:46 am

Jamie wrote:...i hate having my photo taken, so dont point a lens at me cos im likely to run away.

Ohh yes! If we are going to be taking public transport someone may have to show me how the ticketing system works...

Firstly, heh good luck with not getting your picture taken ;) Too many cameras to dodge that day. You'll get caught in the crossfire.

At the ticket machine, select:
1. Zone
2. Concession/Full Fare (No difference on Sunday)
3. 2 hour/Daily (Go Daily as there's no difference)
4. Insert money

The machine will then spit out your ticket and hopefully your change ;) I don't think it gives you more than $10 change.

Nikon boy wrote:O.K. Count we two in, 9am Federation Square ,cafe next to 7-11,10/07/05 is that correct? , anyone think nametags are a good idea,?

Yup that's correct :) Dont' worry about the name tags, we all have something better...it's called a mouth ;) Just lookout for the D70 and backpack toting group. PS. Can someone bring a kid along or something :) I don't want to be the youngest there again :P :P j/k
PiroStitch

Postby Greg B on Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:55 am

I think the machines only take coins - buy a ticket in advance at the newsagent.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby PiroStitch on Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:57 am

A few of them take cards and cash Greg ;) I think it depends on which station you're taking the train from...oh and whether the machines have been smashed or graffitied ;)

Also I've started a new thread for the next meet as this one's getting cluttered.

Click here to view new thread
PiroStitch

Return to Melbourne