Western Treatment Plant (WTP) photography outing

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Western Treatment Plant (WTP) photography outing

Postby Nicole on Sat May 28, 2005 2:06 pm

Yes I know this doesn't sound very appealing but the WTP is actually a great spot for photographing birds (particularly raptors!). I went with another lady, who has a permit, a couple of months back and there was a lot to photograph but unfortunately i was with some people who wanted to move on quickly. :roll:

I've applied for a permit and it should arrive next week. If the weather is good and i can get the short-term key, I plan to go next weekend. Otherwise i'll go the following weekend (long weekend). As they only allow one car for each permit, this limits the number of people I can take. I have 2 spots available in the car. First in best dressed. Who's interested?

If more people are interested and miss out, i will be going again. I'll have the permit for 2 years. :)
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby redline on Sat May 28, 2005 3:07 pm

i might be interested, i have the weekend free next week.
need more details though, do it smell?
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby Nicole on Sat May 28, 2005 3:30 pm

No it was fine when I was there. It was quite a hot day and I couldn't smell anything.

It will be an early start to get the nice light. Sunrise will probably be around 7:30am. Probably leave home around 6:30/7am since I'm on the other side of the city. I'll have a map of the plant and roads. It's dirt roads so quite bumpy.

Last time i was there from about 11am until 5pm. We saw 10 different species of raptors. It's a big place.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby kipper on Sat May 28, 2005 3:39 pm

Ok whose bringing the flash of whiskey, I mean coffee. I'm going to bring my gloves and scarf I think if the weather is as good as today!

Actually I've got an arcosteel flash so I'll bring that, but you don't drink coffee or tea do you Nicole :) That doesn't matter, more for me.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby redline on Sat May 28, 2005 3:47 pm

so what the excat location or area of the treatment plant?
i think Arthur might wanna come too
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby Nicole on Sat May 28, 2005 4:02 pm

I thought Arthur might like to come. 1 spot left for him or anyone else. The plant is at Werribee (one of the entrances is map 205 in the melways). It stretches all the way down to Avalon airport and Point Wilson.

but you don't drink coffee or tea do you Nicole

Yes that's true. So then you'll have to bring the whiskey. :wink: The weather is supposed to clear towards the end of next week but I'm guessing it will still be quite cool being near the water.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby mudder on Sat May 28, 2005 6:38 pm

That sounds like fun but I think I'm on-call for work next week so I can't go out and play RATS!!! :(

Have fun, look forward to the shots
Aka Andrew
mudder

Hi

Postby yeocsa on Mon May 30, 2005 10:39 am

Hi Redline and Nicole,

Thanks. That's very thoughtful and nice of you. Yes, i am interested. My wife is keen to come too. So, I would drive there. This means I have 2 spaces available.

Hi Nicole,

I am not sure if that would be a problem - 2 cars to the area? Is there any restriction on that?

regards,

Arthur
yeocsa

Postby Nicole on Mon May 30, 2005 11:02 am

Arthur, they only allow 1 car per permit unfortunately. The conditions of the permit require me to call in advance to give details of the car rego etc. I also have to give the names of the passengers in the car.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Hi

Postby yeocsa on Mon May 30, 2005 11:08 am

Hi Nicole,

Oppss... i have an inking feeling that that might be the case. i still keen and will try to re-schedule as soon as you are able to confirm the day and time.

regards,

Arthur
yeocsa

Postby Nicole on Tue May 31, 2005 6:58 pm

Just in case anyone is interested, I have 1 free spot in the car. Plan to go Saturday since the weather is looking good.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby Nicole on Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:08 am

Thought I might report on the outing. Redline, Kipper and myself left early yesterday morning hoping to get some raptor shots at the treatment plant. We entered on Beach Rd. However before we even got there we had seen about 5 raptors (including 2 very accomodating black-shouldered kites). The forecast had been for fine weather but in typical Melbourne style it was cloudy for most of the day. Very disappointing. There were hundreds of ducks (no kidding) and stacks of swans. But the best part was the raptors. I think by the end of the day we had seen at least 30 raptors...but we all lost count. The last treat of the day were some Black Kites that kept flying past us and over the top of us.

I'm sure if it hadn't have been for my skilled driving, we would have missed many more shots. :) Other highlights of the day we me stalling the car several times (I was trying to drive quietly and slowly!), revving the engine right near the birds and scaring them off...oh and honking the horn accidentally a few times just in case they didn't know we were there. Will post pics later.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby fozzie on Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:23 am

Nicole,

A pity about the weather. I enjoyed reading your report. I am sure there was laughter/heckling at times, for example: stalling the car several times. This can happen to the best of us, and look forward to your pictures.

Cheers,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby kipper on Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:49 am

Nicole is the Stall Queen.

I'm sure she did a tripple combo too.

Rev, stall and honk horn!
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby stubbsy on Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:14 pm

Nicole

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you guys had fun. I look forward to shots from you and redline (have already seen the one Darryl posted)
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Nicole on Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:36 pm

Fozzie, there was a lot of heckling and laughter at my expense. :) I think there were probably a few groans too...especially when I accidentally honked the horn. I'm sure I did do a triple combo. Cracks me up thinking about it.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby kipper on Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:47 pm

Also Nicoles car needs VR! I'm looking at a lot of shots even at 1/1000th and I think there is car vibration blur :)

Oh well, atleast Nicole has a car :)
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Return to Melbourne