Pro Lab in Melb??

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Pro Lab in Melb??

Postby embi on Thu May 05, 2005 7:41 pm

Can anyone suggest a good pro lab to have images printed in Melb?

I used to go to one yrs ago when I was studying at PSC, but they have long since gone.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
embi

Postby mudder on Thu May 05, 2005 7:56 pm

One that was recommended to me by a landscape pro was:
http://www.theedgephoto.com.au/

Just in Collingwood, seems very reasonably priced too...
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby PiroStitch on Thu May 05, 2005 8:55 pm

I've printed a pano by these guys before and the quality is great! :) They're based out in Hallam though, so that's opposite direction of The Edge Photo Imaging...

http://www.digitalworks.net.au/owners/index.asp
PiroStitch

Postby Alex on Thu May 05, 2005 9:46 pm

Thanks Wayne. I might use this one in Hallam as it's a better compromise to the one in Collingwood distance wise for me. Do you use their colour profiles? Do you get them to do any colour adjustments or as is?

Thanks
Alex
Alex

Postby embi on Thu May 05, 2005 9:59 pm

Thanks guys. Gives me a place to start looking. I am in the west so I will try collingwood. Thier site looks great too.
embi

Postby PiroStitch on Thu May 05, 2005 11:54 pm

Sorry just to give a background about Digital Works...the reason why they are so cheap is they print the image out as is, no colour processing, etc. You will need to manually calibrate your monitor to their profile if you want to. I printed out a test and the colours were quite accurate, but then again I'm on an LCD so things are a bit brighter on my monitor.

Feel free to give them a call Alex as they're quite friendly people :) They have a calibration kit but for us hobbyist, it's quite an expense at about $150 (from memory).

Also you can download their software online to place your orders over the internet but this is pretty much recommended for b/band users unless you're prepared to let it upload for a few hours :)
PiroStitch

Postby Alex on Sun May 15, 2005 4:14 pm

Thanks, Wayne. What is the calibration kit they are selling?

Alex
Alex

Postby Alex on Sun May 15, 2005 4:16 pm

And how do you manually calibrate to their profile? Do you mean print out a few samples with them and then adjust brightness/ contrast/ gamma of your monitor to match the print outs?

Thanks
Alex
Alex

Postby PiroStitch on Sun May 15, 2005 4:17 pm

That's pretty much it :) I know I was a bit "what the? uhmmm....ok" when the guy told me but I guess it makes sense.

By the way I'm going to put an order this week so if you want to send a photo to me to put it through for you feel free to pm me. It'll save you on delivery ;)
PiroStitch

Postby Alex on Sun May 15, 2005 6:09 pm

PiroStitch wrote:That's pretty much it :) I know I was a bit "what the? uhmmm....ok" when the guy told me but I guess it makes sense.

By the way I'm going to put an order this week so if you want to send a photo to me to put it through for you feel free to pm me. It'll save you on delivery ;)

Thanks, mate, for the clarification and for the offer. It would be great to print one out just to see how far off my monitor is from their printer. Pls pm me your e-mail address if you don't mind. I'll then reimburse you for the print out. Do you upload your files to them?

Cheers
Alex
Alex

Calibration...

Postby Bootros on Thu May 19, 2005 12:58 pm

I looked into thsi a while back when I had a really dark pic at sunset and my first print at Teds was nothing but black. You can calibrate your monitor using the Adobe Monitor Calibration (I think it's standard in the Control panel of XP, but can be downloaded from Adobe free) and then convert your pic in something like Phtotoshop to the ICC profile of the printer. This then matches the colors you see on your home monitor with what is printed.

Teds have an ICC profile for their lab in the City, Vanbar (North Melb and Carlton) have a profile for their Fuji machines as well.

Gets a little technical, but the results can be worth it.

Boortos.
Bootros

Postby Hendrix on Thu May 19, 2005 4:16 pm

Nulab is good and not to expensive. http://www.nulab.com.au
"Don't you worry about that"

Hendrix
Hendrix

Return to Melbourne