Any current PPLs or CPLs?

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Any current PPLs or CPLs?

Postby Antsl on Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:04 pm

Hi all,
Just wondering if there are any current pilots on the site who might be able to clarify a comms question for me. When you are making a radio call are you meant to announce your call sign first followed by aircraft type or the other way around? Going through examples in the Visual Flight Guide 2006 at the moment I notice some have - Parafield Tower, Delta Lima Mike, Cessna 150 ... etc and others have Parafield Tower, Cessna 150, Delta Lima Mike. What is correct!?
Cheers, Ants
Antsl

Postby Yi-P on Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:11 pm

Usually it is callsign then aircraft type.

ATC identifies planes via callsign, you will need to identify yourself from the callsign first then calling out your intentions.

It is bit annoying specially when your callsign is long but you still have to do it... :P

I'll PM you a link which you can listen to real ATC chatter if you dont have a scanner at hand.
Yi-P

Postby !~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~! on Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:34 pm

Having my Solo rating in NZ (dam aussies disreguard anything under PPL :( ) i have no idea.......In NZ it goes ("airport" Traffic "callsign" "Action"- E.g. in the plane i used to fly... Timaru Traffic Juliett Hotel Oscar Lining up and rolling 11 (runway).... OR Timaru Traffic Papa Alpha Delta Downwind 11 For Touch And GO
:D o i miss my days of full scale flying :(
!~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~!

Postby Antsl on Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:47 pm

Eh, another Kiwi... I'm, a Cantabrian! Yes, I am slowly figuring it out but looking through the Visual Flight Guide 2006 book (the Bible for VFR ops) there are too many inconsistancies in their comms guide. They need a kick in the bum.

Bit of a pity they did not accept your Solo here however I do not see why you cannot go to a flying school with what you know, study the training books for a while and then apply to do your GFPT (General Flight Progress Test). Of course you'll have the hassle of buying the Australian books... $140, the medical... $360, the ASIC and Student Pilot Licence ... $250. Get those out of the way and then you can get onto the business of flying again.

I have investigated whether I can fly in NZ once I get a PPL here and it seems I can if I have a check flight over there and pay for a temporary licence. So far I have about 16 hours and so I have a way to go yet.
Antsl

Postby !~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~! on Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:26 pm

hehe i'm a SOUTH Cantabrian :P...from Timaru :D Fancy that...my first post on this forum and i run into another Kiwi ;)

I won a scholarship to get to my solo rating....my 1/2 Sister is Timaru's Head OF ED dept at the hospital so i got my ECG for free ;) only cost me for my medical and the doctor was a friend from my primary school's dad ;) haha cheap rates.... now im in OZ there's no way in hell i could afford it :( i have looked into getting an ultralight within the next 10 years...seee how we go 8)
!~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~!

Postby SteveGriffin on Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:32 pm

Ants, I wouldn't stress too much about that level of detail. In a week or 2's time the terminology will have changed anyway.

A long time ago an old time air trafficer gave me some advice.
Who you are,
Where you are,
What do you want.

If you give the call with the information in bascially that order nobody other than your 18 year old instructor is going to give a rats.

Steve
PP(A)L 26 yrs, CP(B)L 22yrs, ATO
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Postby Antsl on Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:23 pm

Thanks for that Steve... After a bit of homework I have decided on a format for the calls that I am going to stick to for the moment until CASA and the Aviation Theory Centre can figure out how to standardise their manual, then we will take it from there! Had another session of circuits today... still got a little way to go... strong winds and x-wind were blowing me all over the place. Hopefully get there soon.

Devine... know what you mean about the expense, to get a scholarship is good though. Joining an ultralight club might be the next step to keeping the skills up... good luck with it!

Thanks again guys... Ants
Antsl

Postby PossumCorner on Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:13 am

Antsl wrote:... still got a little way to go...

Good luck with it Ants. I'm so non-current it is pathetic, got my PPL unrestricted in East Africa - it was just Nairobi Tower-Yankee Whisky, no aircraft ID and they were very Brit in training. In the USA I was lucky enough to fly some old (really old) 2WW trainers: Posy Fields was busy but had no radio so we just looked out well. Good for the concentration but not the radio skills. Thanks everyone for bringing some great memories up front.
PossumCorner

Return to Melbourne