Melbourne Photo Meet Proposals

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Melbourne Photo Meet Proposals

Postby Greg B on Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:59 am

There was a good deal of enthusiasm from those at Friday night's dinner for a photo meet, so let's consider some options.

The main issues are when (date), when (time) and where.

Starting with the where, a couple of suggestions were made on Friday to get the ball rolling,

- the Dandenongs
- around Williamstown and the Altona industrial precinct

So post your ideas and comments and we can see what looks good.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby stormygirl on Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:24 am

Great ideas Greg! I am going to The Dandenongs today, so I'd be all for something a little more industrial.....I'm a little 'over' landscape shots and would love to shoot something different to see what I can come up with!

Currently I have one spare weekend in September left (16th/17th), but October is looking pretty good....at this stage! August is totally out for me.

Sorry we couldn't get a sitter for the Dinner, it looked like you all had a great time.
Weather and Photography Web Site

http://www.stormygirl.net
stormygirl

Postby PiroStitch on Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:52 am

I'd like to wander around and take more Industrial/Urban pics please :D I'm tired of trees and wildlife....
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby Alex on Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:01 am

I wouldn't mind industrial shoot either. May be some refineries at night, we might all end up charged with planning a terrorist act though :-)

Alex
Alex

Postby blinkblink on Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:58 am

Industrial shoot for me.
blinkblink

Postby blinkblink on Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:06 pm

We could do a early morning shoot (groan) and then have coffee and a bit to eat in one of the cafes in Williams town.

As for a date how does the Sunday the 10th of September sound?

Chris
blinkblink

Postby DaveB on Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:16 pm

Something urban could be cute. But unfortunately for me my weekends are booked up until the 23rd of September at the moment!

But trying to find a date that works for everyone is typically not a good plan - it'll never happen unless at least someone picks a date and sticks to it. Those people who can make it will make it, and the others will have to get to the next one!
DaveB

Postby Greg B on Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:40 pm

I agree Dave, that's why we are starting with "where"

Looks like industrial/urban is pretty popular so far, but keep those thoughts coming in.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby makario on Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:58 pm

another vote for industrial/urban ....

Mak
Canonian
"The Reward is in the doing of it..!!" - Worlds Fastest Indian (2005)
http://www.redbubble.com/people/makro
makario

Postby Nicole on Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:19 pm

I'm all for the Williamstown/Altona idea. Lots of options down that way. 8)
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby meicw on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:52 am

Wiiliamstown sounds good to me as well. And now that I am no longer a member of the workforce, any day is OK with me :). The only drawback is that I do not have a car.

Regards
meicw
meicw

Postby Greg B on Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:03 pm

It would be great if someone who lives in or around Williamstown could suggest some local spots. The main park, shop, wharf, precinct is completely full of fun loving day out people on the weekends, we need something a bit grittier in that same area.

Also, I am thinking that an early start - say 7 am ish or thereabouts, would be good too. Good light. Less people.

Anyway, just ideas. Let's hear what you think.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby rmp on Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:32 pm

There is a good wildlife sanctuary out at Little River, near the You Yangs. Lots of birds and roos. Free, and a nice informative walk too.

rmp

Postby blinkblink on Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:01 pm

Bump.

Any ideas on where in Williamstown?
blinkblink

Postby rmp on Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:55 am

blinkblink wrote:Bump.

Any ideas on where in Williamstown?

The Rotunda.
rmp

Postby PiroStitch on Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:36 pm

what's going on with this? :D
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby rflower on Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:41 pm

Having just joined this group, I came across this thread. As the last post was only a month or so ago, I was wondering if the meet had already happened, or is still to come, becuase I would love to come if it is still to happen.

Thanks

Russell
rflower

Postby gstark on Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:53 pm

Russell,

We're currently organising the details and logistics for this. Please stay tuned.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:17 pm

Hi Russell

This particular meet hasn't got off the ground just yet, but it will very soon. Things have been a bit crazy in my world, and probably everybody elses too.

Maybe we could start looking at a date.

Thoughts about Sunday 5 November, earlyish, Williamstown....
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby DaveB on Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:30 pm

Greg B wrote:Maybe we could start looking at a date.

Hmm, Cup Day weekend.

Works for me!
DaveB

Postby blinkblink on Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:34 pm

And me
blinkblink

Postby gstark on Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:46 pm

Greg B wrote:Hi Russell

This particular meet hasn't got off the ground just yet, but it will very soon. Things have been a bit crazy in my world, and probably everybody elses too.

Maybe we could start looking at a date.

The location is already put to bed.

The date needs to be set to the convenience of the two individuals who'll be running the day, one of whom is Oz_Beachside. But I expect he's somewhat occupied at the moment with getting the Hollows images put to bed.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Antsl on Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:20 pm

Hi All,

I have offered to teach the Melbourne event given that I have been teaching photography at variety of levels for well over a decade.

The rough format for the course would be to start about mid morning with a technical session (one model only required) followed by a lazy lunch for an hour or so. After lunch we get into practical session with models in the studio. We will have two studio spaces on the go, one using studio light and the other using compact flash unit options (the SB-800 SB-600 type setups). Once we get later into the afternoon we head off and explore working in outdoor environments, both with and without flash. Models for the event will be sourced within the group (bring your partner etc) so the aim is more about learning how light works rather than going home with a pile of photos of beautiful women.

Dates that suit me at the moment are the 19th and the 26th of November... these are quite a few weeks away now but given the amount of time we have take to get this far on things I am not sure it is going to make a difference! Cup weekend does not suit me as it is my anniversary weekend... you know the rest of that story!

Payment!!! Yes, I reckon there should be a fee to attend this course (I paid $65 as an AIPP member to attend a one day course just two weekends ago!). The fee I was thinking of was two bottles of wine (above and beyond whatever you want to consume for lunch on the day!). Some of the wine goes into my collection for wining and dining my loved one while the rest will be given to models and our location host. Small price to pay for a lot of useful information that I can assure you that you will gain from the day.

Get back to us with expressions of interest soon!
Cheers, Ants
Antsl

Postby blinkblink on Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:35 pm

I think we've got the events confused.

This thread was about an industrial shoot at Williamstown. The portrait workshop thread is here
blinkblink

Postby DaveB on Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:48 pm

Thanks for pointing that workshop out, I had no idea what Antsl or Gary were talking about!

That's what I get for keeping an eye on the Melbourne forum rather than the generic Events forum...
DaveB

Postby Alex on Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:56 pm

Antsl wrote:Hi All,

I have offered to teach the Melbourne event given that I have been teaching photography at variety of levels for well over a decade.

The rough format for the course would be to start about mid morning with a technical session (one model only required) followed by a lazy lunch for an hour or so. After lunch we get into practical session with models in the studio. We will have two studio spaces on the go, one using studio light and the other using compact flash unit options (the SB-800 SB-600 type setups). Once we get later into the afternoon we head off and explore working in outdoor environments, both with and without flash. Models for the event will be sourced within the group (bring your partner etc) so the aim is more about learning how light works rather than going home with a pile of photos of beautiful women.

Dates that suit me at the moment are the 19th and the 26th of November... these are quite a few weeks away now but given the amount of time we have take to get this far on things I am not sure it is going to make a difference! Cup weekend does not suit me as it is my anniversary weekend... you know the rest of that story!

Payment!!! Yes, I reckon there should be a fee to attend this course (I paid $65 as an AIPP member to attend a one day course just two weekends ago!). The fee I was thinking of was two bottles of wine (above and beyond whatever you want to consume for lunch on the day!). Some of the wine goes into my collection for wining and dining my loved one while the rest will be given to models and our location host. Small price to pay for a lot of useful information that I can assure you that you will gain from the day.

Get back to us with expressions of interest soon!
Cheers, Ants

I'm in for this one. Either of the dates is fine, but prefer 19th.

Alex
Alex

Postby Oz_Beachside on Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:06 pm

Hi,

Sorry all, I have just been drowning lately.

I'll call antsl tomorrow and finalise some details, so we can then book something in.

It will be a great day!

Cheers,
Oz
Oz_Beachside

Postby rflower on Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:11 pm

I would like to attend the Industrial session around Williamstown too.

Russell
rflower

Postby blinkblink on Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:11 pm

Ok,

Sunday 5th of November at 7am at the Rotunda?

Yes, I know 7am is too bloody early.
blinkblink

Postby Greg B on Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:08 am

OK folks, this thread has become a bit confused, so in the interests of

(a.) clarity, and
(2.) reduced obfuscation, and
(iii) definition

I am going to lock this thread and start a specific thread for the 5 November meet.

Links....

5 November meet thread
http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php?p=255735#255735

Portraiture workshop thread
http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php?t=21192
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Return to Melbourne