Where are the Melbourne D70 people??

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby gstark on Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:59 am

Kipper,

Repeat after me ... "there is no duty on cameras". :)

As Birddog says, duty free stores are not cheap when it comes to photographic equipment. Cubanos, yes, but that's a different product.

Don't forget to go to Camera Exchange, just off Elizabeth St; they seem to have very good prices and knowledgable staff - a rarity these days - and Vanbar are always worth checking out as well.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby kipper on Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:03 am

Yeah most of the staff are retards I'll give you that. However the day I stumbled into the store with a list of cameras I must have had luck on myside as I had an english chap that was a photographer working there. He knew his stuff and pointed me away from the cameras that I had selected and told me to go for the F80. Haven't had any issues with the camera in the two years of owning it.

As for Duty Free, I know there is no duty tax on those items as I read this a little while back but there is still GST so the term "Duty Free" is still used if not a bit incorrect. A better term would be "Tax Free".

Cubanos? Cigars I take it. :)

As for prices, I found Ted's to be more expensive then Michaels when I shopped 2 years ago. Then again things might of changed. Also I've always been happy with Michaels for developing of my prints. Where every other local store can't do a decent print to save themselves.
kipper

Postby Greg B on Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:47 am

kipper

Firstly, welcome to another melbopurne member, at this rate, will will challenge sydney. (Well, maybe not quite)

Secondly, nothwithstanding issues of retardation, Ted's will deal. I am not recommending them, but if you go in there with a price, they can only say yes or no. Ditto with the others, but I suspect that the ted's people have a bit of latitude (and as one other member found out to his considerable delight, they have a 30 day lemon replacement policy which might suit your circumstances).

Go to all those shops along elizabeth street and give 'em hell. As wll as Vanbars etc. Rememeber, you are the customer, they can say yes or no, they can give you their best price. You say, I will buy at the best price I can get, what's yours.

Good luck

:) :) :)
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby kipper on Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:53 am

Thanks Greg.

I think I've sort of learnt since the last time not to just buy the first store that I ask in. So I will shop around a bit more. Might even give Ted's a go this time as an acquaintance has an Aunty that works there.
kipper

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:31 am

erm...

When I said visit duty free stores I wasn't suggesting that their prices were any good, I was suggesting that they would probably know the ins and outs of -buying- duty free stuff and what you can and cant actually do as I wasn't 100% sure of the advice I was giving..

but anyway.. good luck
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby Nicole on Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:54 pm

Birddog is right about the GST. You also have to remember that you need to spend a minimum of $300 and get a single invoice. I'm going O/S in a couple of months and I've actually already ordered what I need. I won't pay for my stuff until it's within the 30 day timeframe. You have to carry the goods on board the plane too.

I did this same thing when I went O/S last year and had no issues. I think it's much better than buying at the duty free store and having to wait. At least you can try out what you buy to make sure it works! 8)

I've found Camera Exchange and Vanbar quite good.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby birddog114 on Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:01 pm

Nicole wrote:Birddog is right about the GST. You also have to remember that you need to spend a minimum of $300 and get a single invoice. I'm going O/S in a couple of months and I've actually already ordered what I need. I won't pay for my stuff until it's within the 30 day timeframe. You have to carry the goods on board the plane too.

I did this same thing when I went O/S last year and had no issues. I think it's much better than buying at the duty free store and having to wait. At least you can try out what you buy to make sure it works! 8)

I've found Camera Exchange and Vanbar quite good.

I all knew that, I travelled very often too, $300.00, what can you buy with it in photographic equipment? perhaps more, just curiosity! where's about you're heading to?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby MHD on Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:02 pm

I love the TRS... done that lots of times...
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby birddog114 on Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:03 pm

MHD wrote:I love the TRS... done that lots of times...

And they love you too cos you guy created jobs for them :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Nicole on Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:14 pm

Birddog, I'm getting an extension tube kit (Kenko because the Nikon's don't autofocus or meter). Also getting a monopod and other bits and pieces. Somehow it seems to all add up! Always find an excuse to get something.

I'm going to Sabah. Hoping to get some photos of orangutans and other wildlife. Apparently they also have over 1200 species of orchids so that will be something else I'll be wanting to photograph. Wishing i could afford the 70-200VR as that would have been a great lens for that trip. :roll:
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby Onyx on Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:53 pm

Nicole lucky you heading to Sabah! You might also wanna consider shopping for those accessories there. Malaysia's cheap for photo equipment. eg. my D70 kit bought there costs the equivalent of $A1600 when it was newly released.
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:00 pm

Nicole wrote:Birddog, I'm getting an extension tube kit (Kenko because the Nikon's don't autofocus or meter). Also getting a monopod and other bits and pieces. Somehow it seems to all add up! Always find an excuse to get something.

I'm going to Sabah. Hoping to get some photos of orangutans and other wildlife. Apparently they also have over 1200 species of orchids so that will be something else I'll be wanting to photograph. Wishing i could afford the 70-200VR as that would have been a great lens for that trip. :roll:

Thanks Nicole, that's the direct flight from Australia to Sabah, you won't disappoint and regret the trip and lot of things to see and capture, little bit humid and tropical rain in December but there're many things to enjoy.
Yes, Sabah or Malaysia, you can find some good bargain there for photographic equipments as well.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Nicole on Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:08 pm

Thanks Onyx and Birddog. :) Yep not going via KL. I was a bit undecided about the weather but we always do something at Christmas after visiting my family in Qld so it would have been the same issue if we'd have travelled in North Qld. I've been told that mainly it rains in the afternoon. As you say there are many things to enjoy.

Maybe I can get that 70-200VR a bit cheaper in Sabah. :twisted:
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby birddog114 on Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:13 pm

Nicole wrote:Thanks Onyx and Birddog. :) Yep not going via KL. I was a bit undecided about the weather but we always do something at Christmas after visiting my family in Qld so it would have been the same issue if we'd have travelled in North Qld. I've been told that mainly it rains in the afternoon. As you say there are many things to enjoy.

Maybe I can get that 70-200VR a bit cheaper in Sabah. :twisted:

Try your luck, if you used to the weather in North QLD then Sabah is nice.
I was in Cairn last year (stopover) on the way backed from Tokyo, too hot and humidity was high, even can't breath, cos Tokyo was minus 2 degree Celcius.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:26 pm

Nicole - it doesn't just rain, it POURS!! That's during monsoon season - which I'm not exactly sure when that is... I would imagine Sabah being predominantly rainforest, humidity could be a big problem facing human comfort too. Anyway, have fun! Don't disappoint us, we're looking forward to your pics. :)
Onyx

Postby Greg B on Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:35 pm

Nicole, being from Qld you are no doubt aware of the problems humidity can cause.

Make sure you pack plenty of those silica gel anti moisture thingies with your camera and lenses when you are amongst the humidity.

cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby birddog114 on Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:37 pm

Hey, look at the header, it's one of the popular topic! It's 7th
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Nicole on Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:46 pm

Yep that will be the go Greg. I'll be sure to stock up before i go. Also had other tips about taking zip lock bags etc.

It will be the monsoon season so I will have to expect significant downpours. One of the girls I work with goes there quite frequently as her partner has family over there. She said that mainly the rain is in the arvo but sometimes there can be a few days in a row. Whatever the case i will have fun no matter what.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby gstark on Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:34 am

Birddog114 wrote:I was in Cairn last year (stopover) on the way backed from Tokyo, too hot and humidity was high, even can't breath, cos Tokyo was minus 2 degree Celcius.

FWIW, JAL have a special going at the moment ... Tokyo for Au$899 return, on a Christmas Day departure.

QF have some good deals to HNL for late Jan departures too - $599 + $150 land content requirement.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:52 pm

gstark wrote: FWIW, JAL have a special going at the moment ... Tokyo for Au$899 return, on a Christmas Day departure.

QF have some good deals to HNL for late Jan departures too - $599 + $150 land content requirement.

A meet at Waikiki beach at the end of Jan perhaps.
Or
A meet at Akihabara (Electrical town) in Tokyo by New Year Eve :lol:
http://www.artisandevelopers.com/web/to ... habara.htm
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:11 pm

Both sound good to me.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Nicole on Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:40 pm

What an excellent idea. 8)
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby birddog114 on Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:48 pm

Anyone copy?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Greg B on Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:07 pm

Why would you want to go to Hawaii when you can be in Melbourne?? :wink:
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby birddog114 on Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:18 pm

Greg B wrote:Why would you want to go to Hawaii when you can be in Melbourne?? :wink:

Greg,
It's rainy! and Waikiki is sunny!!!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Seachange on Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:26 pm

Hi,

Following a recommendation from Kristine from WA, I had a look at this forum, liked it, & have joined today. It's a very positive, helpful forum.

I'm from a coastal town called Blairgowrie, about 90K from Melbourne - and the weather today has been BEAUTIFUL!

I am just about to buy a D70. Any suggestions as to the CF Card I should buy?

Cheers,

Mike
Seachange

Postby Greg B on Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:33 pm

Hi Mike

Welcome. Glad to here the weather there was beautiful today, it was only average in the big smoke.

You probably want a 1 gig Sandisk Ultra II or a Transcend 45x card.

I think there is a thread here somewhere that has some more info or a link.

Great to have a peninsula person on board

cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Nicole on Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:53 pm

Hi Mike. Good to see another Melbourne person. You're lucky the weather was nice down there.

A guy I work with lives in Blairgowrie too. Sounds like a nice place to live.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Another new Melb D70users forum member

Postby Nicholas128 on Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:26 pm

Hi everyone, I am also in Melb and just joined this forum today (when I discovered it existed on DPreview). Looking forward to contributing.
Cheers! Nicholas.
Nicholas128

Postby gstark on Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:38 am

G'day Nicholas.

And all the other new Victorian members too.

Judging by the huge influx of Victorians over the last few days, I think that Greg's telephone box might need to be expanded into a booth at McDonalds.

IAC, it almost seems as if there may be enough people now to start organising a meet.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:17 am

gstark wrote:G'day Nicholas.

And all the other new Victorian members too.

Judging by the huge influx of Victorians over the last few days, I think that Greg's telephone box might need to be expanded into a booth at McDonalds.

IAC, it almost seems as if there may be enough people now to start organising a meet.

Yep Greg!!! I'll throw in for you guy a MOET to start with!, you can pick it up next trip to Sydney :D
Birddog114
birddog114

Melbourne is alive!

Postby ChaPPy on Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:42 pm

:D

We are really getting our numbers up very quickly...watch out Sydney! btw - Hi everyone (Eastern side of Melbourne)
ChaPPy

Re: Melbourne is alive!

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:50 pm

ChaPPy wrote::D

We are really getting our numbers up very quickly...watch out Sydney! btw - Hi everyone (Eastern side of Melbourne)

Chappy,
You were in sleep mode awhile! where have you been?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby ChaPPy on Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:22 pm

Chappy,
You were in sleep mode awhile! where have you been?

To many things to do! Not much time left between work (IT), family and taking/editing photos!

How about some help a front page / logo design?!

ChaPPy
ChaPPy

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:19 pm

I'm always available for webpage help as well if anyone wants..
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Sooooooooooo close!

Postby kurokaze204 on Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:28 am

Hi All,

I live in Bayswater. Will be buying my D70 in a day or two. I head for the USA on the 1st and want to take advantage of the duty free. Glad to know there are a bunch of other users in Melbourne.

Harvey N Knox has a deal for $2199 with 18-70 and free Tamron 70-300. Add the $200 rebate and the $220 GST back and I'm a happy camper.

Have any of you purchase the D70 eBook advertised on DPReview? I'm considering it to get myself up to speed on using the thing to the max.

Reguards Stu.
kurokaze204

Postby Glen on Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:43 am

Hi Kurokaze,

Welcome.

which ebook (there are two)? Have read the Thom Hogan book, it is good, looking at the Inova one. You have probably had a look at the Birddog special here http://forum.d70users.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight= it may or may not suit you
Glen

Postby kurokaze204 on Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:49 am

Thanks Glen, but even though I won't be using the 70-300 a lot I will need it now and then (there is an awesome summer shot of the full moon rising over Mt Dandenong that I HAVE to catch) and I won't be able to afford it afterward. Gotta go all in one. Then it's one to the next big purchase...house.

iNova is the book in question.
http://www.gmbooks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=gmb&Product_Code=070-54-0-DPR&Category_Code=100

Oh, one other question...I would like to setup a Blog that I can also post my photos on. Any suggestions? Is it worthwhile going for a free one? I have heard some of them shut down and you lose everything. Can anybody suggest Blog sites they use and prices? I am web admin and was thinking about downloading some free software and setting up my own site, but I checked out a couple today and they wen't righ over my head. I have a server with IIS running, but no idea how to use it for more than OWA.
kurokaze204

Postby Onyx on Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:55 am

Hey Stu, welcome to these forums. As Glen mentioned, take a look at what Birddog is offering - his specials simply cannot be beaten because he's offering the deals at cost.

Having read Thom Hogan's and Peter iNova's ebooks, I would recommend the latter. IMO it's the better, more comprehensive book. Thom's is more an extension of the D70 manual, while Peter's covers much more, including a guide to the SB800, the history of photography in general, how to shoot different subject matter, post processing techniques including photoshop stuff and has lots of PS actions saved on the CD too. However both are great, there's alot of info contained in each even for the seasoned photographer.
Onyx

Postby Greg B on Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:57 am

Hi Kurokaze

Welcome to the forum. I agree with Onyx's comments on the two books. I have found that Thom's book is a very useful practical help - better and more informative than the manual.

Peter iNova's book has some great stuff as Onyx said.

I reckon, get both :)

You might as well start spending more than you expected right from the beginning.

cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby gstark on Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:43 am

Stu,

Welcome.

Why IIS ? As a server, Linux is far better.

But without wanting to start another OS war, you can install php, and once you head down that route, there's a vast array of software available, including blogs, that you can use. You may need to also install MySQL, but that's NBD anyway.

Leigh will tell you what blog software we're running here; it was a totally painless installation; likewise Singapore as our internal web galleries.

Again, being PHP, they're all cross platform, and even the poorest, starving art student can afford them.

As to buying your hardware, look to what Birddog's offering. Consider that as pretty much the baseline of what you really do need as a starting point, and if there's a need for an extra lens or two, I'm sure he'll be able to come to the party there too.

But the first thing to do is ask.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby kurokaze204 on Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:04 am

Thanks guys, this is definitely a very helpful place. I appreciate all the advice.

I have emailed Birddog and he has been very helpful. I just need to rob an extra $400 off somebody to afford it.

HN told me that it was $1999 before the rebate, but I have a feeling they meant $1999 WITH the rebate. My wife is checking with them now.
kurokaze204

Postby MHD on Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:22 am

you guys are growing!
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby kurokaze204 on Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:10 pm

DOH! I was right. My wife went in to HN this morning. Turns out when the salesman says its $1999 with the extra lens and you get the $200 cashback, he actually means to say that he just gave you the $200 cashback.

Thanks for the heads up Birddog.

This is going to kill me if I miss out on $220 bucks worth of Duty Free. :-(
kurokaze204

Postby birddog114 on Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:20 pm

kurokaze204,
So finally, have you got it? and it's a smart communication from the salesman :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby kurokaze204 on Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:32 am

OK, so a D70 with extra 70-300 lens is out of reach for me again :cry:

Birddog, your deal is a smasher, but I just can't afford all the extra stuff.

What's the best route from here Oh learned companions? Do I risk buying one in the USA and forego the warranty? We have businesses in the USA, so I can always send it back there for repair if needs be, but I've only heard of one person having a backfocus problem. Has anybody else here needed to use their warranty in the first 12 months?

I will be spending a Saturday in New York, suposedly the Digi Camera Capital of the world. I'm also coming back through Singapore airport. Would it be worth buying at Duty Free there? US web prices seem to be a good A$5-600 cheaper than here with a US$100 rebate as well.

If I don't find anything in my travels, is it possible to order a standard kit from Downtown Duty Free at Melbourne Airport online and pick it up on the way back into the country before passing back through customs or do you need to pay for it before you leave to get the duty free concession?

I'm really ticked at that Harvey Norman guy for getting my hopes up. :?
kurokaze204

Postby skyva on Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:59 pm

Hi all, I am new as well. Just got my d70 today, so I need to learn a lot. I hope to catch up and have a meeting soon.
I am encouraged by the strength of the forum, as I believe it shows how strong the enthusiasm is and wil only bode well for better use of the camera.
If u want to know , I have no experience in photography, but am quite techincal. I am planning to do some study to get better, but I believe some of the best learining comes from users not teachers.

Anyway, I hope to be constructively active in these forums.
skyva

Postby Onyx on Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:26 am

Hey skyva, I have no doubt you made the right decision in choosing the D70. :) Welcome to the forums. The best place to learn about photography IMHO is the net - an endless resource. There are many useful links in our own links forum. Or if you're slightly more serious about learning, an ebook: Thom Hogan's or Peter iNova's. Both come highly recommended!

Boy, there's gotta be enough of you Victorians now to have a decent meet!
Onyx

Postby gstark on Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:25 am

Onyx,

Onyx wrote:Hey skyva, I have no doubt you made the right decision in choosing the D70. :) Welcome to the forums. The best place to learn about photography IMHO is the net - an endless resource.

While the latter part of this statement is true, the best way to learn is to go out and make some images, and then come back and see what you screwed up and understand why.

Then you go back outside and screw up some more and repeat the whole cycle ... :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:33 pm

Welcome skyva!

We had a bit of a crack at organising a melbourne meet, but Nicole was the only person showing much interest. However, There has been more talk of organising something when our affluent melb members return from their xmas overseas trips :P

Anyhoo, maybe early feb.

Enjoy your d70, and the forum.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

PreviousNext

Return to Melbourne