Baluk Willam Flora Reserve - macro opportunities

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Baluk Willam Flora Reserve - macro opportunities

Postby Nicole on Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:15 pm

For anyone who is interested, I went up to this Baluk Willam Flora Reserve on the weekend before last. It was an interesting trip in many ways (had to walk away quickly from a parked car with two people inside). Another guy was there and he obviously knew more about wildflowers/orchids than I do (since he informed me I was almost about to step on one). There were many different orchids and lots of opportunities for macro work.

I plan to take a trip up there again this weekend since I have a nice long weekend (yay!). I'm also thinking of stopping off at Churchill NP for some kangaroo shots. At this stage thinking of going up Sunday. If anyone is interested let me know.

Here is one of the orchids (need to go back to get more DOF!): Orchid
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby Hudo on Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:35 am

Hi Nicole,

How did you get on at Churchill NP. Some great spots there I have used the park for a few shoots in the past. Many Kangaroo's there especially at dawn and dust.

Mark
Hudo

Postby Nicole on Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:05 pm

I got caught up photographing orchids again so didn't get to Churchill. :lol:

I went out to Baluk Willam Flora Reserve again this morning. Since the weather has warmed up there were other orchids flowering so had to go back and get those. It's getting addictive. Plus there was a nice friendly dragonfly that let me get close with the 60mm.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby Hudo on Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:21 pm

Hi,

I have a beach shoot this afternoon so of to Seaford soon. Where is this reserve I have never heard of it neither had my wife.

Mark
Hudo

Postby Nicole on Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:51 pm

It's off Wellington Rd in Belgrave South. You drive up Courtneys Rd and near the corner of Courtneys and Orchid Rd is a carpark. There is a track leading up from the carpark into one part of the reserve. There are many flowers/orchids near the track and just off the track. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner....had to meet a friend.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby Hudo on Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:35 pm

Hi Nicole,

I know where Courtney's Rd is. I'll go take a look. Thanks.

Mark
Hudo

Postby NikonUser on Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:39 pm

Could be worth a look. Thanks for that info.

How was the variety/abundance of insects? (if you noticed)

Paul
http://www.australiandigitalphotography.com

Living in poverty due to my addiction to NIKON... Is there a clinic that can help me?
NikonUser

Postby Nicole on Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:48 pm

There was the odd dragonfly. Quite a few butterflies. Plenty of ants and other insects seemed to be buzzing about.

If you get a chance, have a look at Langwarrin Flora & Fauna reserve. The birds were having a field day on the insects there up towards the tower.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby NikonUser on Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:50 pm

I go past there every day on my way to work. :)
http://www.australiandigitalphotography.com

Living in poverty due to my addiction to NIKON... Is there a clinic that can help me?
NikonUser

Postby Nicole on Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:02 pm

Well you have no excuse. :D

There is a small wetland next to Braeside Park (in an industrial estate of all places). It's only a couple of years old so the trees are still growing. It's coming along nicely though as I saw heaps of dragonflies there last night.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby genji on Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:05 pm

Nicole wrote:It's off Wellington Rd in Belgrave South. You drive up Courtneys Rd and near the corner of Courtneys and Orchid Rd is a carpark. There is a track leading up from the carpark into one part of the reserve. There are many flowers/orchids near the track and just off the track. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner....had to meet a friend.

nicole

i went there today at 5pm, but i didnt notice any orchids :(

you must give a guide tour next time :)
[every man's work is always a portrait of himself.
Ansel Adams, Carmel, California, 1979]
genji

Postby Nicole on Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:16 pm

I was there this morning until about 11am. The first time I walked past many orchids. I've run into a few different people there now and each time they point out different orchids. Now I know what to look for it helps but still learning. Some are really small!

Would be happy to give anyone a guided tour. Another excuse for me to go! :)
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby Hudo on Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:04 am

Hi,

Going to head up there this morning to see what is there......

Mark
Hudo

Orchids

Postby PossumCorner on Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:12 am

Nicole wrote:I was there this morning until about 11am. The first time I walked past many orchids. I've run into a few different people there now and each time they point out different orchids. Now I know what to look for it helps but still learning. Some are really small!

Would be happy to give anyone a guided tour. Another excuse for me to go! :)

Nicole I'll take you up on that offer "one day" - I don't live far from there but it's like four-leafed clovers in your own back yard syndrome. Now and then we get to the old Belgrave Lake where the platypus colony is. The "Platypus Sanctuary" signs have been removed but there were a couple of fishermen there the other day who had just seen two so they are still there.

Edited to add: Just had a look at your site, your orchid photos are lovely, didn't see any nodding greenhoods, we have them in our backyard bush plus a couple of those in your shots. Finding time is the biggest problem, hope to be on top of it a bit by next springtime.
PossumCorner

Postby Nicole on Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:26 pm

Platypus colony. Pretty tricky getting decent photos of those guys but it would be worth it. Might have to check that out some time. Glad you liked the orchid pics. :) I have some nodding greenhoods from last Autumn/Winter. Haven't put them on the website yet.

There were no sun orchids open when I went on the weekend. Huge contrast to my previous visit. I have plans to go back earlier next spring as I was a little late this year.

PC, you live in a great part of the city. Love going up to Sherbrooke. :)
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Return to Melbourne