Adelaide Meet #3.....Any idea's?

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Adelaide Meet #3.....Any idea's?

Postby mickwhit on Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:42 pm

Hi all,

Sounds like everyone had fun at Monarto at the last meet. Unfortunately I was unable to make it due to work commitments however, I hope that any advice I provided from my trip to Monarto the week before helped you out. I see some of you struggled (like myself) with the dirty, scratched windows on the crusty old STA bus. DOH!!

I maybe jumping the gun a bit and I hope I'm not treading on anyone’s toes by instigating ideas for the next meet. But does anyone have any ideas and possible dates?

I will kick the ball off with the City of Churches D70 Enthusiasts Meet. We could walk around Adelaide from Church to Church and take shots inside and out. We could walk a specific pre determined route around Adelaide to maximise the amount of churches we can capture. En route we could take pictures of other Adelaide interests as well and stop off at any one of Adelaide's cafe's for lunch.

First idea posted! Any more?

Cheers,

Mick.
mickwhit

Postby Marvin on Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:16 pm

Sounds good to me. I'll be in. Will have to be a Saturday though as I assume Sundays at the churches would be busy and some of us have to come from the country.
Marvin

Postby mickwhit on Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:19 pm

Nice pick-up Marvin,

If we do the City of Churches tour it’ll have to be on a Saturday given the churches Sunday commitments, unless that's the look the majority of people want.

Count me in for a Saturday in the future.

Anyone else have any other idea's or additions/recommendations to this meet?

Cheers,

Mick.
mickwhit

Postby fozzie on Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:54 pm

I have a surprise for Adelaide Meet #3.

Today I have ventured out to Manly and to Taronga Zoo today, and will post pcitures on return to Adelaide early next week.

ta ta for now,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Marvin on Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:28 am

Cool Fozzie! Look forward to seeing them and hearing about your trip!
Enjoy the rest of it.
Marvin

Postby robw25 on Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:22 am

fozzie .. looking forward to seeing photo's from your " red light district" visit as well ..
cheers rob
robw25

Postby xorl on Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:43 pm

Doing the churches around Adelaide might be a lot of walking for little reward. Some other options:
- The Parklands, there are different gardens n stuff to choose from.
- Adelaide Zoo. Unlike Monarto bus windows won't get in the way. :)
- The Torrens and festival centre area (including the cathedral). I find that most views of the cathedral are pretty average due to trees and signposts getting in the way. Architecture is a little painiful without a shift lens. Inside might be interesting - I don't know.
- Belair Natonal Park
- Onkaparinga National Park
- Some other park

The Onkaparinga National Park sounds pretty interesting to me. Thoughts?
Mark
xorl

Postby murf59 on Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:16 pm

G'day Mick

Even just around the City Centre with the Buildinds, Churchs, Torrens River, Festival Centre, Adelaide Oval the list goes on and, don't forget the people, all with in walking diatance.

Regards Murf
murf59

Postby fozzie on Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:04 am

Taronga Zoo, Sunday 27 March 2005:

All shot with the Nikon 70-200VR + TC-17EII (NO FLASH)
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby DanielA on Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I just signed up today. I'd be interested to tag long to an Adelaide meet. I've done my own outings to the Adelaide Zoo, Monarto Zoo, Adelaide Botanic Garden and the Clipsal 500 (some pics on my website) since I got my D70 late last year.

I can probably make any weekend, but the next month is out as I'm soon jetting off to the Far East for a holiday (with D70 of course).

Nice photos Fozzie, love the lions...

Daniel
DanielA

Postby fozzie on Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:13 pm

Daniel,

DanielA wrote:Hi everyone,

I just signed up today. I'd be interested to tag long to an Adelaide meet. I've done my own outings to the Adelaide Zoo, Monarto Zoo, Adelaide Botanic Garden and the Clipsal 500 (some pics on my website) since I got my D70 late last year.

I can probably make any weekend, but the next month is out as I'm soon jetting off to the Far East for a holiday (with D70 of course).

Nice photos Fozzie, love the lions...

Daniel

Some people get it tough...
but the next month is out as I'm soon jetting off to the Far East for a holiday (with D70 of course).
 BTW: Enjoy your holiday and we look forward to your posts while away or upon return together with supporting pictures.

'Adelaide Meet #3' will most probably happen while you are away. But there will be another ie. 'Adelaide meet #4' 6-8 weeks on. Please keep an eye out, and also don't forget to put your idea/s forward.

Thank you for your comments on the lions. It was particularity hard to take, as you are undercover (very dark) and I was about 10 deep from the glass screen and shooting over peolpe's heads. No excatly an ideal situation. In view of the circumstances I was more than happy with the results.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby fozzie on Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:31 pm

'Adelaide Meet #3' what are we going to do people :?: . More idea/s and or decision time. Bear in mind Monday 25 April is Anzac day.

I will just add my toughts:

We could meet in O'Connell Street, North Adelaide at a Bistro/Cafe for morning coffee/latte (10am-10:30am) or light lunch (noon-12:30pm) for meeting new members, exchange of information and then separate into two groups: Group 1 - Torrens Parade Grounds, Festival/Exhibition Centre etc, while Group 2 - Adelaide Zoo, and then walk along the Torrens River and meet back for light lunch/afternoon coffee/latte to compare experiences.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Marvin on Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:18 pm

I'd be happy to do this. I would be more interested in the zoo than the parade ground, etc. BUT I have to say that I have no idea how to take decent shots of buildings and stuff, so it would be a good learning experience to tag along there too.
The Onkaparinga Park does sound good. It's quite hard to look at your areas as interesting I think!
Marvin

Postby mickwhit on Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:27 pm

Hi All,

If these are the final options for Adelaide meet 3 then I will take the walking tour rather than the zoo as I went to the zoo over the Easter long weekend. Am I correct in saying that both tours will walk along the Torrens before finalising at an agreed final location? I like that idea.

Just as a heads up the weekend dates that best suit me are this weekend 9/10 April (may be too soon), unable to make the following weekend 16/17 and I'm good for most of the Anzac day long weekend 23-26.

I love Anzac day, will anyone be going to the dawn service on North Tce? I always go and I'm thinking of taking the trusty camera along for the journey.

Hope to see you at one or both of these locations/times.

Cheers,

Mick.
mickwhit

Postby fozzie on Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:53 pm

Mick,

As I have never been to a Dawn Service, that is very appealing to me. With the sun coming up would also be an excellent opportunity to take shots of the buildings along North Terrace that have been opened up with the redevelopment ie planting of trees, garden beds, water features and lighting etc.

Later on we could meet up with the other people, then possibly split as I mentioned before. Later on regroup along the Torrens River somewhere before coffee/latte somewhere to talk over the day's shoot.
Last edited by fozzie on Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby digitor on Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:00 pm

mickwhit wrote:.........I love Anzac day, will anyone be going to the dawn service on North Tce? I always go and I'm thinking of taking the trusty camera along for the journey.........

Cheers,

Mick.

Hmm, that sounds interesting! I've never been, but I'm a gunner from way back! (I'm gunner go one day, I mean :roll: )

If it's not raining, perhaps I'll make the effort this year. I went to a Rundle Street hotel last year for lunch on Anzac day, and there was a table of WWII diggers there as well, what a great photo op. that was, I thought to myself a couple of days later when I got my eagerly-awaited D70.

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby xorl on Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:03 pm

Sounds good.. I think I'll be doing the Zoo. I've done the torrens a few times since moving into the city.

I was planning on checking out the Anzac parade this year. Maybe I'll check out the dawn service as well if I'm still up ;)
Mark
xorl

Postby mickwhit on Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:33 pm

Hi guys,

Maybe I need to clarify something :-) I will definitely be going to Anzac day as I love it more than Xmas day. However, being such a big day on my calendar, I won't be able to combine both Anzac day into the next Adelaide meet.

If the majority want to combine the two outings then that's cool, I can meet up in the morning, maybe have breakfast but then I'll be staying for the parade and then pushing onto the Union Hotel for a few traditional milk and rum and a chat with the diggers.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers,

Mick.
mickwhit

Postby fozzie on Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:19 pm

Mick,

Even if we don't hold our next 'Adelaide Meet' on this day, I would still like to meet up with you at the 'Dawn Service', and if time permits have breakfast together, then go our separate ways.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby mickwhit on Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:37 pm

Certainly, I'd like that!

If a few people are keen on dawn service (05.30am) then pm me and we can arrange an earlier meeting time/place.

For those of you thinking of sleeping in, Dawn service is awesome! I love it. It's a way I can pay my respects for our forefathers who fought and sacrificed everything they had to give us the life we all enjoy today.

Sorry went on a bit there. I'm a little passionate sometimes :-)

Anyway, hope to see you there.

Cheers,

Mick.
mickwhit

Postby robw25 on Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:14 pm

and there was a table of WWII diggers there as well

that would have been nice to see them together.... they helped us to have what we have now ...

cheers rob
robw25

Postby digitor on Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:11 pm

robw25 wrote:and there was a table of WWII diggers there as well

that would have been nice to see them together.... they helped us to have what we have now ...

cheers rob

Rob, those exact thoughts were running through my mind as well, and I must say it was great to see how well they were looked after by the young (and pierced) pub staff that day, nothing was too much trouble.

Cheers
digitor

Postby fozzie on Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:21 pm

We need to kick this post along, re date for 'Adelaide Meet #3'.

As a side event, Monday 25th April - 'Anzac Day Dawn Service' Mickwit, xorl (may be - if awake) and myself going to the Dawn Service for photo shoot. All things going well, light breakfast somewhere after and then Mickwit will be joining other Anzac Day functions. I am thinking of following on with a photo shoot along North Terrace and end up at the Adelaide Zoo. If other people are interested in joining us before the sun rises, please express your interest, or sometime later say around 9:30am-10am. BTW: Adelaide Zoo opens at 9:30am daily:

http://www.adelaidezoo.com.au/adelZoo/

We could turn this into 'Adelaide Meet #3'. As expressed earlier if the 'Adelaide Zoo' is not your cup of tea, a separate group walk along the Torrens and environs :idea: , and meet up later for coffee/latte at Adelaide Botannic Gardens kiosk or somewhere else.
Last edited by fozzie on Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby xorl on Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:51 am

Sounds good Fozzie. My plan is to check out the Dawn service (might be challenging ;) ) and the parade. You can find ANZAC day details here. Perhaps we could meet somewhere (where?) during or after (time?) the parade? Grab a drink/something to eat, and then head down to the Torrens or the Zoo.

So who is up for the meet?
Mark
xorl

Postby mickwhit on Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:57 pm

It's all gone quiet over the last few days. Is everyone ok?

Are there any other interested parties for Anzac Day (Dawn Service) and/or Fozzie's extended photographic tour down North Tce?

If people are too busy to catch up for a mini meet on Anzac Day, what time, dates, places best suit people for the next meet?

Let’s gets some feedback and rapport going between the members of the Adelaide D70 chapter and really make other states envious of our frequent gatherings.

Hope to see you all in the near future,

Mick.
mickwhit

Postby fozzie on Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:08 pm

Mick,

I will leave it to you to nominate a meeting place and time on this post for Anzac Day morning. BTW: how is your D70 going after repair :?:
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby digitor on Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:25 pm

I'm intending to be there for the dawn service, but my plans may be stymied by the previous night's festivities 8)

I will do my best, however!

Cheers
digitor

Postby fozzie on Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:27 pm

digitor,

If you want an early morning call, I will gladly ring you at 4am :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: .
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby mickwhit on Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:37 pm

G'day Fozzie,

How will you be getting into the city? If by car, where will you park? If by bus at what station will you get off at?

You let me know and we can arrange a suitable 'convenient' place for both of us.

Cheers,

Mick.
mickwhit

Postby mickwhit on Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:40 pm

Oops,

I forgot to mention, my D70 is working a treat. I was having withdrawals :D

Although I did manage to get by with the D100 I borrowed due to the exceptionally long delay in the repair.

Cheers,

Mick.
mickwhit

Postby fozzie on Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:47 pm

I will be coming in by car, and was going to park behind the Botanic Gardens and walk to the cnr of Gawler Place and North Terrace. I will be there at 5:15am. I will have to find out what time they open the gates to the area I intend to park, otherwise I will park in North Adelaide and walk down the hill.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby beetleboy on Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:14 pm

Thanks for the invite guys but 5am is not in my Aussie discipline..I can do it in Africa, for weeks on end, but not Adelaide!

Sorry!

Liam =]
beetleboy

Postby mickwhit on Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:19 pm

How about 05.20am at the front of the Torrens parade ground barracks on Kintore Ave?

Or is that too inconvenient for you because you'll have to back-track?

Cheers,

Mick.
mickwhit

Postby fozzie on Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:32 pm

Mick,

How about 05.20am at the front of the Torrens parade ground barracks on Kintore Ave?

That will be fine with me and hopefully others.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby digitor on Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:24 pm

fozzie wrote:digitor,

If you want an early morning call, I will gladly ring you at 4am :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: .

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thank you for your very kind & generous offer Fozzie, but I think I will rely on my alarm clock! :wink:

Cheers
digitor

Postby fozzie on Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:56 am

Decision time: This morning I will advise Gary Stark that Monday 25th April 2005 - 'Anzac Day Dawn Service' will be our offical 'Adelaide Meet #3' and to add to the 'Calendar'.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby fozzie on Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:10 pm

Mickwhit,

At this stage it looks like you and me for 'Anzac Day Dawn Service' meeting @ 5:20am: Torrens Parade Grounds, Kintore Avenue, City.
After breakfast, I will push on down North Terrace for a while, and arrive in time for the opening of the 'Adelaide Zoo' @ 9:30am. I will be travelling lighter now. BTW: Our other posts can be can located here: http://www.d70users.com/viewtopic.php?t ... c&start=15

Edit 1: Monday : Min 15 Max 20 Possible morning shower
Last edited by fozzie on Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby BBJ on Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:46 pm

Hi Guys, I hope you all have fun and enjoy your meet up there in the big smoke. I have a State Rally Car championship to attend this weekend and maybe fit in some MotoX action as well, but main job is the rally, just went and picked my Media pack up and yeh saturday i will be spending some time checking out the course for spots to take pics, as this will keep me busy.

I am sure fozzie will keep you all inline,LOL we hope and have a good time and get lots of pics.
Cheers
John
BBJ
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby fozzie on Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:52 pm

BBJ,

BBJ wrote:Hi Guys, I hope you all have fun and enjoy your meet up there in the big smoke. I have a State Rally Car championship to attend this weekend and maybe fit in some MotoX action as well, but main job is the rally, just went and picked my Media pack up and yeh saturday i will be spending some time checking out the course for spots to take pics, as this will keep me busy.

I am sure fozzie will keep you all inline,LOL we hope and have a good time and get lots of pics.
Cheers
John
BBJ

You have a good time as well. Sounds very busy to me, and I hope very rewarding for you as well, if you get my drift. Look forward to many of your shots :) .
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby BBJ on Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:01 pm

Thanks Fozzie, yes well i had an email from a photog from Rally sport magazine as he is coming and wants to maybe use some of my shots in there magazine so who knows.
I had a picture put in the local paper here today and they have butchered it, looks bloody horrid, so i have emailed them as i sent it to the young bloke who the pic is off and so who knows what they have done to it but i would not have put it in looking the way it did and put my name on it.

Fancy putting in a pic that looks crap as the original was perfect so i am not happy. LOL
Cheers
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
BBJ

Postby robw25 on Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:00 pm

I had a picture put in the local paper here today and they have butchered it, looks bloody horrid

hey john i know how how you feel when you see "your" photo in the local paper and it looks nothing like the original, apparently its put down to problems with their print system, doesnt matter when people know that it was "you" that took that photo and you hear comments of "that's a shit photo" !! .... good luck with your weekend sounds busy..... wish i was in adelaide with "the gang" this weekend but have to make steel to pay for toys !

cheers rob
robw25

Postby BBJ on Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:50 pm

Hi Mate, Yeh well i rang the paper and seems it was the person who sent the artical in and the pic was printed and photo copied couple of time before it got to paper, i did say well why print it then but yeh same old story anyhow, have fun at work mate and say hi the the Boss for me and yeh keep out of trouble. No doubt she will keep u inline.
ok Cheers
John PS: i took some pics today and yeh did that silly thing again didnt check setting and ISO was on 640, damn suxs. I will learn oneday.
BBJ

Postby xorl on Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:58 am

Fozzie, I'm still planning on checking out the Anzac dawn service n stuff, but I'm not sure how its gonna work. I'll give you a call once I've dragged myself into town ;)
Mark
xorl

Postby fozzie on Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:00 am

xorl/Mark,

xorl wrote:Fozzie, I'm still planning on checking out the Anzac dawn service n stuff, but I'm not sure how its gonna work. I'll give you a call once I've dragged myself into town ;)

Your comments are noted.

FYI: I will be driving down Pultney Street, South to North Terrace at about 5am, so if you want to lift, please let me know.

Look forward to catching up with you from the start or somewhere in between.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby fozzie on Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:04 pm

Almost the last call for 'Adelaide Meet #3' D70Users.com registered/members.

Monday 25 April is shaping as an excellent day for photography.
Weather wise, a pleasant 23C with cloudy peiods, yah: now showers for the Anzac's :D .

I will monitor this post tomorrow evening, to see if anyone else will be joining us at the beginning (5:20am), or part way in.

On the day, I can be contacted on 0409 695 740. BTW: I will be carrying a supply of D70Users.com 'OP/TECH Pro Loop Straps'. Cost is $30 including GST.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby fozzie on Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:24 pm

Checked out secure parking today. The only place I could find, was the Parking Station immediately behind the Royal Adelaide Hospital, entrance/exit off Frome Road. The Parking Station is open 24/7 and is about 10-15 minute walk to the Anzac Dawn Service and about the same walking time from the Adelaide Zoo back to the Parking Station.

I will check in later tonight, and also in the morning to see if any other additional people are coming.

Edit 1 : I'm leaving now: 0435/25 April, 2005.

Ta Ta For Now,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Excellent Dawn Service in Adelaide

Postby mickwhit on Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:27 pm

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them.

Lest We Forget.

http://www.pixspot.com/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10133&pos=0

Brilliant Dawn Service in Adelaide this morning, one of the best I've experienced. As 'The Ode' suggests; I took this shot At the going down of the sun in remembrance of the men and woman who have given their lives for their country and to give us the freedom we all take for granted. Thank-you. We are indebted to you all forever.

Thanks Fozzie for a nice morning. I especially liked breakfast. I am very interested in hearing about how your day panned out following our departure. I look forward to some samples soon. I trust you enjoyed your first Anzac Day Dawn Service and I hope to see you at more in the years to come.

Cheers,

Mick.
mickwhit

Postby fozzie on Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:27 pm

Mick,

I had a most enjoyable morning at the Dawn Service. Then immediately after meeting your wife, mother-in-law, and Gran, then followed by breakfast at the Pancake Kitchen. I hope I have all the names right.

I stayed in North Terrace, City until about 12:30pm and then meet up with Mark/xorl at the Adelaide Zoo at about 12:50pm. The day ended at about 3:45pm, and I am exhausted.

Will try to posts some pictures of North Terrace and the Adelaide Zoo tomorrow night.

Once again, thank you for this morning.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Return to Adelaide and Perth