Adelaide Meet #2

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby BBJ on Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:01 pm

Hey Fozzie, looks like lots of toys to play with at meet next, in 18 days not that i am counting.LOL Well i am as it is a busy month for me with my weekends taken up as at the track this weekend, for a special Adelaide club shoot,Victorian club racing following weekend 2 days, Adelaide Zoo meet, then 3 day easter race meeting. Oh well hopefully few more buck so help next lust session maybe.
Oh well have fun
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby fozzie on Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:14 pm

BBJ,

BBJ wrote:Hey Fozzie, looks like lots of toys to play with at meet next, in 18 days not that i am counting.LOL Well i am as it is a busy month for me with my weekends taken up as at the track this weekend, for a special Adelaide club shoot,Victorian club racing following weekend 2 days, Adelaide Zoo meet, then 3 day easter race meeting. Oh well hopefully few more buck so help next lust session maybe.
Oh well have fun

Yes there will be new people to meet, equipment to look at from a number of people, especially from Robw25 with his new 200-400VR 'AWSOME'. Let's hope there is time to do some short walks and shooting to finish off the day.

Cheerio,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby robw25 on Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:55 pm

only me and the partner coming to monarto as her mate's car needs repair...
my hiking trip on the hysen trail was a disaster... we did 37 k's and my feet were sore and blistered so had to go to a nearby farmhouse and call the sister to pick us up... thank god for the hospitality of farmers, this was a young mother with three young children and she couldnt help us enough ( her husband was out in the fields somewhere ) ... anyway roll on monarto !!!!

cheers rob
robw25

Postby fozzie on Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:21 pm

Rob,

Sorry about your trip...blistered feet, yuk. What would we do without the generosity of farmers. BTW: more bad news :cry: - your lens will not fit on my tripod: either via Ballhead or Wimberley Sidekick because of the foot. Unfortunately you would need something like this:

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/lens_pl ... index.html

:arrow: AF-S VR 200-400mm/f4G ED-IF

Looks like you will have to use it hand held.

Fifteen more sleeps, how old are we :!: .

Please Note: I sent you on PM on 27 Feb. that is still unread. Now read, Thank You.

Goodbye for now,
Last edited by fozzie on Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby kipper on Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:26 pm

Yep, I think this is what Birddog was telling me to get for my 70-200VR
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby robw25 on Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:28 pm

GROAN ..... i wonder if birddog has any of them
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/lens_plates/nikkor_auto_focus/index.html

fifteen sleeps sounds good to me !!!
kipper.... did you get it ???? and if so how much

cheers rob
robw25

Postby fozzie on Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:30 pm

kipper,

You need from the same website a 'LCF-10' :D : a removeable lens collar foot.

See you later,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby fozzie on Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:34 pm

Rob/kipper,

The prices are listed on the website + shipping.

Rob: I have the replacement foot for the 70-200VR (US$100 + Shipping).

Work on about US$25 for Shipping.

ta ta for now,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Mark T on Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:07 pm

Unfortunately, I doubt that we will be able to make it on the 20th. I'm still trying to rearrange other commitments so that we can be there.

I was looking forward to catching up again and meeting some more members: more's the pity.

Hopefully, we will be able to organise another meet sometime after Easter.
Mark T

New to this Forum and keen to shoot in Adelaide

Postby mickwhit on Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:38 pm

Hi All,

I'm an Adelaidian also and would love to make it on the 20th but due to wok commitments I will be unavailable during that weekend. But my wife and I are dead keen for a shoot at Monarto and we're heading there tomorrow instead.

I look forward to your next meet, Adelaide #3 in the near future. Have any of you created an Adelaide D70 members distribution list? If so, may I please be added to it.

Cheers,

Mick

P.S, have any of you had any dealings (good, bad, indifferent) with either Adelaide Technical Camera Services or more importantly, Maxwell Australia WRT repairs/service on your D70?
mickwhit

Postby fozzie on Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:48 pm

mickwhit,

Firstly welcome to the forum :) .

It is good to see that our numbers in Adelaide increasing.

To answer your question, quote 'P.S, have any of you had any dealings (good, bad, indifferent) with either Adelaide Technical Camera Services or more importantly, Maxwell Australia WRT repairs/service on your D70?' unquote I have had no need to use them so far, so I can not help.

Goodbye for now,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Marvin on Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:36 pm

Mark - sorry to hear that you may not be able to make it. We'll have to organise another meet as we seem to be getting more members.

Mickwhit - Welcome. We look forward to meeting you some time. We would love to see your pics of Monarto posted and hear any hints. I have had dealings with Maxwell - well, I tried to have dealings with them. I have sent them 3 emails and called them twice, with no replies as yet (this was late last year). I was very disappointed! :x
Marvin

Postby fozzie on Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:00 pm

Hey Marvin,

Marvin wrote:Mark - sorry to hear that you may not be able to make it. We'll have to organise another meet as we seem to be getting more members.

Mickwhit - Welcome. We look forward to meeting you some time. We would love to see your pics of Monarto posted and hear any hints. I have had dealings with Maxwell - well, I tried to have dealings with them. I have sent them 3 emails and called them twice, with no replies as yet (this was late last year). I was very disappointed! :x

http://www.nikon-asia.com/servicecentres.php

For Service in Australia outside of NSW or the A.C.T., please contact the authorised Nikon Repair Agent in the State capital cities, listed on the right: in this instance below:

SOUTH AUSTRALIA & N.T.
Adelaide Technical Camera Service
Level 1, 163 Halifax Street, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Phone/Fax: (08) 8224 0321

Cheers,
Leighton
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:01 pm

:lol: :lol:
For Nikon Grey Products, Please contact me :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby robw25 on Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:42 pm

welcome mickwhit.... yeah we would love to see some pics of monarto and any tips or warnings you have about monarto ...

cheers rob
robw25

Postby Marvin on Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:13 pm

Yep Fozzie, that's who I contacted! LOL Birdy!
Marvin

Postby mickwhit on Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:00 am

Hi All,

I will certainly pass on any worthwhile shots from my Monarto experience and any tips that may be of use to enhance your tour.

WRT my other question requesting if any of you had any dealings with Adelaide Technical Camera Services (ATCS) or Maxwell Australia, I asked because my D70 is currently away being repaired by them and it has already taken over 5 weeks with a further expected 4 week wait. I am currently using a D100 to get me by in the interim.

The issue I have had with my D70 is detailed extensively at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=12048204 and it appears that there have been several instances of this exact same fault. In short my D70 was put away after a shoot and the next time I went to use my D70 it never woke up. Nil power. Dead D70.

My own personal dealings with either ATCS and Maxwell have been less than impressive. Hence my curiosity to see if any of you fellow Adelaidians have had any experiences you would like to comment on. (Or is mine an isolated incident).

Anyway enough of that. I'm really looking forward to going to Monarto tomorrow and I'll post some pics shortly.

Cheers,

Mick.
mickwhit

Postby fozzie on Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:35 am

Hi Mick,

mickwhit wrote:Hi All,

I will certainly pass on any worthwhile shots from my Monarto experience and any tips that may be of use to enhance your tour.

WRT my other question requesting if any of you had any dealings with Adelaide Technical Camera Services (ATCS) or Maxwell Australia, I asked because my D70 is currently away being repaired by them and it has already taken over 5 weeks with a further expected 4 week wait. I am currently using a D100 to get me by in the interim.

The issue I have had with my D70 is detailed extensively at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=12048204 and it appears that there have been several instances of this exact same fault. In short my D70 was put away after a shoot and the next time I went to use my D70 it never woke up. Nil power. Dead D70.

My own personal dealings with either ATCS and Maxwell have been less than impressive. Hence my curiosity to see if any of you fellow Adelaidians have had any experiences you would like to comment on. (Or is mine an isolated incident).

Anyway enough of that. I'm really looking forward to going to Monarto tomorrow and I'll post some pics shortly.

Cheers,

Mick.

Touch wood, my D70 has worked perfectly since purchase May, 2004. BTW: I sent you a PM yesterday, and it is unread. Please refer to top left hand corner of the home page: looks likes this:

You have 1 new message
View posts since last visit (0)
View your posts
View unanswered posts
Logout

Then click on 'You have 1 new message' .

Edit: PM has now been read.

Goodbye for now,
Last edited by fozzie on Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Marvin on Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:07 am

Man, that is a long wait. I don't know how they can justify that kind of turnaround. Sorry to hear about your problems - it is very frustrating. I haven't had any issues with mine yet - had it since June last year (I think!). Good luck and enjoy your trip to Monarto!

Fozzie - how do you know when people haven't read your pms?? I have an inkling you are psychic! :wink:
Marvin

Postby xorl on Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:24 pm

Maxwell is rather frustrating at times. They don't seem to keep many items in stock and often orders end up waiting for a new shipment to arrive. You would expect the Australian distributor to keep good stock, that is meant to be their job. Oh well, *grumble*. It makes grey imports much more tempting :) .

You can see if your PM has been read by checking your Outbox. Once the PM has been read it is moved to your Sentbox.
Mark
xorl

Postby fozzie on Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:29 pm

Marvin,

Marvin wrote:Man, that is a long wait. I don't know how they can justify that kind of turnaround. Sorry to hear about your problems - it is very frustrating. I haven't had any issues with mine yet - had it since June last year (I think!). Good luck and enjoy your trip to Monarto!

Fozzie - how do you know when people haven't read your pms?? I have an inkling you are psychic! :wink:

A psychic: no, just 'ESP' :wink: .

Please refer to this page:

D70Users.com
A discussion forum for users of Nikon's D70 DSLR FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
Profile You have no new messages Log out xxxxxx

:arrow: Inbox Sentbox Outbox Savebox

Now go into Outbox

If there is a message (flag will be orange), it is unread.
When read the PM will be automatically transferred into the sender's 'Sentbox'.

As a rule I check the 'Outbox' everytime I Log In, to see if people have read PM's that I have sent. Hence the reason why, I could pick this up this morning.

Just not a pretty face, not even that :lol: .

Goodbye,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Monarto "My Experience"

Postby mickwhit on Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:56 pm

Hi All,

Monarto was an excellent experience and a photographers dream.

(BTW, Thanks Fozzie I did get your PM and having experienced Monarto for the first time I'll definitely go back again.)

One "honest" negative aspect of the bus tour was that when the bus stopped to view a type of animal it only stopped for approximately 6o secs before moving on. Now for some that might be enough, but I found that when changing the focal point, exposure compensation, WB etc to suit the situation, that minimal time wasn't enough.

One other negative aspect but one I'm sure would be hard to combat is when you travel into the big cats area, you have to close the windows and have to take shots through the somewhat dirty windows which did effect some of my shots.

Mostly though, I was pleased with the outing and would consider going back again.

I think that the Photography Enthusiast Tour that Fozzie is putting together would be far more beneficial than the 1 hour tour I took in a crusty old STA bus with the general public who may not have had the same passion for photography as I do.

(Fozzie, I will reply to your PM straight after I post this thread.)

I'm happy to share a couple of my shots with you but I must admit I'm not exactly sure how attach them within this post. Is it easier to create a pbase account (or similar) then attach the URL address within the text of this thread?

Thanks guys, and I'll attempt to post some shots soon.

Cheers,

Mick.
mickwhit

Postby fozzie on Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:04 pm

Mick,

Unfortunately I am about to go out for dinner, so I will not get to see your work until tomorrow morning :( .

ta ta for now,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:11 pm

fozzie,
Life is so romantic for you! go out Saturday night and coming home the next morning! :wink:
Have fun!
Birddog114
birddog114

My Monarto (Pics)

Postby mickwhit on Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:39 pm

Hi all,

After a bit of messing around here is the link to my Monarto shots.

http://www.pixspot.com/index.php?cat=10133

Like I said in my previous post, it’s a shame that the shots of the big cats have to be taken from within the bus through a dirty window. But I understand the safety concerns considering the lions weigh in excess of 250kg and eat 50 kg in one sitting.

Hope you enjoy.

Constructive criticism welcome :)
mickwhit

Postby robw25 on Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:29 pm

Birddog114 wrote:fozzie,
Life is so romantic for you! go out Saturday night and coming home the next morning! :wink:
Have fun!

hey fozzie .... is this correct ????

cheers rob
robw25

Postby Marvin on Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:03 pm

Hi Mickwhit!
Thanks for the info and the picture posts. I particularly enjoyed the lion picture - there is something about his expression that appeals to me. I would find the giraffe one better if I could see the highest giraffe's head, but I realise how difficult that could have been as you probably would have chopped their legs off!
We'll look forward to meeting you in the future!
Marvin
Marvin

Postby robw25 on Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:11 pm

mickwhit
thanks for the tip about the dirty windows ...we'll have to check them before we leave..... 60 seconds !! geez takes me that long to switch it on...

cheers rob
robw25

Postby Marvin on Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:16 am

OK, so far for the meet we have:
Digitor (x2)
Fozzie
RobW (x2)
BBJ
Xorl
Dciscool :?: Haven't heard back yet!
Marvin (x4)

Anyone else planning to make it or bring someone else along?
John, are you bringing the family?
If we can get 3 more we can get a private bus trip, thus (perhaps) be able to spend more time at each animal (as Mickwhit pointed out the short length of time spent).
Someone could bring the windex :wink:
Marvin

Postby BBJ on Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:29 am

Hi Marv, I will be comming on my own, this time as depend on when i come home as kids got school and so on, could come home sunday after meet or monday yet and still not sure when i am comming up either friday or saturday but yeh just and my other partner(D70) that is. LOL
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
BBJ

Postby fozzie on Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:42 am

Rob,

robw25 wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:fozzie,
Have fun!

hey fozzie .... is this correct ????

cheers rob

Had a boys night out at the 'House Of Chow', excellent Chinese meal and then down to the Grand Hotel at Glenelg for a few hours and home before 2am, plus sober.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby mickwhit on Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:19 am

Hi Marvin,

I was debating whether to show you guy’s the giraffe picture or not because I felt exactly the same way about cutting the taller ones head off.

I might add that I was shooting with my 70-200VR and messing around between 70mm and 90mm trying to capture the entire scene, but alas with no joy :-( I needed a lens change and there was no time for that so I had to go with what I had and hence no head. The other option as you pointed out was to cut off their legs, poor judgement on my behalf and I went with the head DOH!!!

There was one picture I really would have liked to get a shot of (but the bus didn't stop) was of herd of zebra drinking in their large man made river, some looking up curiously at the passing visitors (the people in the bus). It truly looked awesome. Oh well! Maybe next time :-)

I have added some more pictures to my site for your viewing pleasure and to better show you when I was taking pictures of the giraffes 70mm it was too much. I needed my 17-55mm.

Anyway, enjoy the extra's I've added. I gotta go. I'm off to play golf, yep! at 7am :-)

Cheers,

Mick.
mickwhit

Postby robw25 on Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:58 am

mickwhit wrote:Hi Marvin,

I was debating whether to show you guy’s the giraffe picture or not because I felt exactly the same way about cutting the taller ones head off.

I might add that I was shooting with my 70-200VR and messing around between 70mm and 90mm trying to capture the entire scene, but alas with no joy :-( I needed a lens change and there was no time for that so I had to go with what I had and hence no head. The other option as you pointed out was to cut off their legs, poor judgement on my behalf and I went with the head DOH!!!

There was one picture I really would have liked to get a shot of (but the bus didn't stop) was of herd of zebra drinking in their large man made river, some looking up curiously at the passing visitors (the people in the bus). It truly looked awesome. Oh well! Maybe next time :-)

I have added some more pictures to my site for your viewing pleasure and to better show you when I was taking pictures of the giraffes 70mm it was too much. I needed my 17-55mm.

Anyway, enjoy the extra's I've added. I gotta go. I'm off to play golf, yep! at 7am :-)

Cheers,

Mick.

if i get into that situation with the zebra's drinking ..... i will be telling that bus driver " he moves he dies " i think we might have to have a chat to the driver we have that were there to take photo's so hmight have to wait a bit longer at each stop .. i mean fozzie's gotta change ssooo many lenses and this takes time ! btw how long did it take for the tour ?

cheerds rob
robw25

Postby birddog114 on Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:04 am

Rob,
Bring along with you a nice bottle of Red, the driver will sitback and listen to all of you :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby fozzie on Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:41 am

If anyone wants to purchase an OP/TECH Pro Loop Strap (Black) with D70Users.com logo (Yellow) on it for $30 at 'Adelaide Meet #2' Monarto Zoo on Sunday 20 March, please send me a PM by 9pm Saturday 19 March.

http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail ... CT_SUB_ID=
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby mickwhit on Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:07 pm

Hi Rob,

In reference to your question, the tour I took yesterday would have been about 1-1 1/2 max. Bear in mind the tour I took was the general public tour which really isn't designed for photographic enthusiast such as ourselves.

I honestly believe that the dedicated Photography Enthusiast Tour at Monarto by Jeff Folland is definitely worthwhile and more suited to photographers like ourselves, where we can take our time, change lenses when req’d, adjust camera settings when req'd and take that long awaited shot. Given it's a full day excursion the only problem would be how many memory cards do I take? :-) Or in my case how many times do I download my 1G card to my Nikon Coolwalker?

Cheers,

Mick.

P.S. I forgot to mention that in addition to the 1hr bus tour, there is a selection of three walking tours.

1. A 20 -30 minute self guided walking tour approx 1.5 km in length. You may see many species of bird and native flora.

2. A 45 minute guided walk which will take you through native bushland to a Mallee Fowl habitat where you can view these unique birds.

3. A 90 minute guided walk past the African Plains habitat where you may have the chance to see Giraffe, Zebra and Eland. You will also have the opportunity to view the park and surrounds from lookouts.

In closing, I will inform you that unfortunately (but understandably) these walking tours are not available when the weather is too hot such as yesterday when I went.
Last edited by mickwhit on Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickwhit

Postby robw25 on Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:26 pm

mickwhit
yes i hope to do the Jeff Folland tour as well, this is the first time i will meet the "other" south ozi's so its more a get to know people
( and dribble while looking at fozzie's gear )

cheers rob
robw25

Postby kipper on Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:32 pm

Closest to Adelaide I will be this month is Tower Hill, Vic.
I wouldn't dare go any further :)
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Marvin on Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:35 pm

:P
Marvin

Postby mickwhit on Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:37 pm

Rob,

Sounds like a good enough reason to me, get away from Whyalla, meet fellow D70 owners, chew the fat, drool and take some shots as well.

If I understand your signature block correctly and you own all those items rather than being items in the wish list, then I'm sure others will be drooling over your toys too :-)

Cheers,

Mick.

P.S I updated my last thread to include the details of the walking trails available at Monarto (weather permitting).
mickwhit

Postby fozzie on Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:07 pm

Marvin,

I have just finished ironing my D70users.com 'T' shirts for you to wear at the group photo at 'Monarto Zoo' next Sunday :lol:.

Have a great day,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Mark T on Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:30 pm

fozzie wrote:Marvin,

I have just finished ironing my D70users.com 'T' shirts for you to wear at the group photo at 'Monarto Zoo' next Sunday :lol:.

Have a great day,

Well… if I can get my hands on an ironed T-shirt, I'll try harder to make it. BTW, Does anyone mind if my screaming kids come along too?

Or for that matter, my wife?

(i.e. would there be room for 4 more including me?)

Mark T
Mark T

Postby robw25 on Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:10 pm

i have a few D70 t-shirts already and fozzie has a couple of new ones he's going to give me at monarto so maybe to get the group photo right we might break those open too.... they are fat bastard size ( xl )

mark you bring who you want .... i didn't see a mistress on your list ?

cheers rob
robw25

Postby BBJ on Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:39 pm

HEHEHE i would ware my shirt if it would fit me.LOL lotta body to cover, oh well more waiting for my tummy job to be done,grrrr hospitals.
Yeh anyone see me going trigger happy when i am there please stop me. lOL
BBJ

Postby robw25 on Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:57 pm

i'm sure after the meet we'll know who the "crazies" are john

cheers rob
robw25

Postby BBJ on Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:03 pm

least i can say it wasn,t me as well i wont incriminate myself. If anything goes wrong ill say see them guys with the D70 shirts on .lol
BBJ

Postby fozzie on Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:56 pm

For anybody looking for a road map to 'Monarto Zoo', here it is:

http://www.monartozp.com.au/dir24/ws.nsf/Publish/2175
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Marvin on Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:59 pm

LOL Fozzie! :lol:
Yes, I would look lovely in all of your t-shirts, especially if they are nicely ironed! It's very important to have a uniform, particularly with those lovely sleeves and cuffs!!!
Mark - we would love to see you and the family. I will be taking my hubby and kids (they just don't know it yet!!!). And 4 more would give us enough to get a bus of our own I think!
Marvin

Postby fozzie on Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:48 pm

Marvin,

Marvin wrote:LOL Fozzie! :lol:
Yes, I would look lovely in all of your t-shirts, especially if they are nicely ironed! It's very important to have a uniform, particularly with those lovely sleeves and cuffs!!!
Mark - we would love to see you and the family. I will be taking my hubby and kids (they just don't know it yet!!!). And 4 more would give us enough to get a bus of our own I think!

I am pretty sure that you will be out numbered, so the t-shirts goes on over your whatever you are wearing for the photo shoot only :lol: :lol: oh yes.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Marvin on Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:56 pm

Well, I must remember to pack my sumo wrestler suit!
:lol:
Marvin

PreviousNext

Return to Adelaide and Perth