The next meet!

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

The next meet!

Postby Marvin on Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:14 pm

Hi everyone,
I was just thinking about the next meet and would like to organise something in advance so I can keep that weekend free. We discussed going to the zoo or Monarto to take pics of the "wildlife". Does anyone have any other ideas?
We were also looking at a date about 4 or 5 weeks from now but I guess we are flexible as we would like as many people as possible to attend. I think Fozzie has a lens for each of us to use! :D (just kidding Fozzie!)
I suppose what I am asking is - who is keen and what/when do people want?
Marvin
Marvin

Re: The next meet!

Postby fozzie on Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:25 pm

Marvin,

Marvin wrote:Hi everyone,
I was just thinking about the next meet and would like to organise something in advance so I can keep that weekend free. We discussed going to the zoo or Monarto to take pics of the "wildlife". Does anyone have any other ideas?
We were also looking at a date about 4 or 5 weeks from now but I guess we are flexible as we would like as many people as possible to attend. I think Fozzie has a lens for each of us to use! :D (just kidding Fozzie!)
I suppose what I am asking is - who is keen and what/when do people want?
Marvin

Cheeky one Marvin, only too happy to share equipment because this is what the forum is all about sharing ideas and evaluation. We need to bear in mind that Easter long weekend is 25-28 March, 2005. I may be going to Sydney for the whole of Easter.
I am free the Sunday before: 20 March, Monarto sounds good or even Glue Pot?
Anybody else have any ideas on date (s) and photo shot opportunities.

Marvin, I have sent PM'S to wojtek, robw25, BBJ, Mark'T', dciscool, bouyant_clown and beetleboy to watch this space (As at 4:20pm 15 February 2005 all but beetleboy have read the PM, and I believe he is still overseas. beetleboy has just checked in by PM and 'yes' he is still overseas). 18 Feb. - I have just sent a PM to a new member I missed before - xorl.

Goodbye for now,
Last edited by fozzie on Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby digitor on Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:33 pm

I'm pretty flexible about a venue, wildlife in a bush situation might be slightly tricky with a group... although Fozzie has had an idea in this direction which I will leave him to share with us! (And I think it would suit some of us too...) EDIT: Fozzie beat me to it - Gluepot Station sounds good, although might not be too convenient for some

I've never been much of a "camera club" type person, but I think this group is different - from my own perspective, the value of a meeting is in the sharing of ideas, I think we all learn something from each other.

So, in answer to your questions:

1. I'm keen
2. I don't know what I want :cry: but I'm open to ideas :D

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby digitor on Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:38 pm

20 March is OK with me, it's about the only date before April I could make it.

Cheers
digitor

Postby Marvin on Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:53 pm

Well, Gluepot Station would be ver convenient for me!!! 19th or 20th are OK with me too. I suppose there are heaps of other things around the area to take pictures of! Ducks galore :wink:
But, if people like BBJ and Robw want to join in it may be better to be central in town or somewhere. I, too, am open to suggestions.
If all else fails, you could come to my place and take pictures of the budgie!
Marvin

Postby fozzie on Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:59 pm

digitor,

I had never heard of 'Glue Pot Station' before seeing a programme on TV about 12-18 months ago. The name sounded most interesting and so did the wildlife. It may not be suitable at this time for a number of reasons. I am open to suggestions, everybody feel free to jump in here.

Goodbye for now,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby wojtek on Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:20 pm

I'm not overly fussed on the location, more interested in absorbing the experience that seems to be present with the rest of the Adelaide chapter.
My main interests are not that of wildlife photography, but it does sound like a decent way to spend an afternoon.

In short, this would be my first photography related meet and I really dont feel im in a position to offer suggestions as i just dont know what to expect.

... talk about a cowards way out of things :wink:
wojtek

Postby robw25 on Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:56 am

im off from the 1st of march to the 22nd but im hiking the hysen trail around clare, im sure i can talk my mate into finishing early.... so the 20th sounds good for moi ! and monarto is high on my list for a visit... but, i will go where the majority want to go ... will keep watching this thread

cheers rob
robw25

Postby Mark T on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:21 am

I'm probably more interested in landscapes, scenery, people, buildings than wildlife, but I'd be more than happy to go with the majority.

The family may take a trip to Victor Harbor, Port Elliot or Goolwa/Hindmarsh Island in the next few weeks to see if anything's changed.

(for those who know of the "nature's eye" on Granite Island, did you know that there is another larger "eye" near Port Elliot?)

I did have a chat with my photographer brother who suggested:

Marble Hill: ruin in Adelaide Hills.

Burra: various ruins.

Tailem Town: Old style buildings, machinery, cars, etc.

Fort Glanville: Historic re-enactments (only open once per month?).

Of these, I have only been to Tailem Town, so I can't vouch for the other suggestions. (I must have a look at Marble Hill - sounds interesting)

Regards,

Mark T
Mark T

Postby BBJ on Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:50 am

Well just finished work and got home. Well i guess i can only try get to a meet and have been longing to look at Monarto Zoo or the Adelaide one but not that i am an animal lover just something different.

I have to be up in Adelaide on the 7th-8th April for doctors at both Flinders hospitals so that may be too far away for some, so i might be able to make it if its not like Adelaide 1 week and then the following again.
If funds are around at the time i will try make it and well if i come and not the tribe i stay at my mates place at Little Hampton.
f you try and organise with your lot up there if i can make it i will try get there.
Thanks Fozzie for letting me know.
Cheers
John
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby bouyant_clown on Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:51 pm

hi fellow adelaidians,
photography meeting sounds very interesting.
some pretty far afield suggestions, i know it would be the case for myself and probably a majority that attendance would be higher if the location is closer to home.
bouyant_clown

Postby Marvin on Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:39 pm

Hi guys!
Mark, Burra is a lovely place for pictures. Last time we drove through there in Oct last year I thought that I must get back to take some pics.
Bouyant clown - out of the 8 or so from the message, 3 of us don't actually live in Adelaide and are all from different parts of the state. But I hear what you are saying! :D
Some of the places Mark suggested sound interesting. Any other ideas? It seems that 20th March is OK for most people. Should we take a poll on the place or can we come to a "gentlemanly" arrangement???
Marvin

Postby fozzie on Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:54 pm

Hi there Marvin,

Marvin wrote:Hi guys!
Mark, Burra is a lovely place for pictures. Last time we drove through there in Oct last year I thought that I must get back to take some pics.
Bouyant clown - out of the 8 or so from the message, 3 of us don't actually live in Adelaide and are all from different parts of the state. But I hear what you are saying! :D
Some of the places Mark suggested sound interesting. Any other ideas? It seems that 20th March is OK for most people. Should we take a poll on the place or can we come to a "gentlemanly" arrangement???

The 20th March is good for me.
I am in where ever we go.

Cheers,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby digitor on Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:09 pm

fozzie wrote:
The 20th March is good for me.
I am in where ever we go.

Cheers,

Wot he said!

I understand that central is better for most (but not all), but I'll be in wherever.

Cheers
digitor

Postby Mark T on Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:18 am

I'm happy with the 20th, but…

If we make it a few weeks later (say 10 April) then maybe Rob and John will have a better chance of making it?

Mark
Mark T

Postby bouyant_clown on Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:14 pm

i see...
thanks for filling me in marvin.
what a challenge, mount gambier and whyalla to cater for . . .
bouyant_clown

Postby BBJ on Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:42 pm

HEHEHE yes some of us country folk here need to come up and keep you city dwellers inline. LOL
But hey if you have a meet before and if i can make it i will try, but as it is i will be up 7th 8th of april and can stay couple of xtra days if need be.
As like robw Monarto is high on my list not having been there before, drive past all the time, turn off that is and yeh i am easy, just have a 5 hour drive to get there.
Will go with the flow.
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
BBJ

Postby Marvin on Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:25 pm

The 10th April is not good for me as I have to take my daughter to WCH on the 14th so don't want to make two trips to Adelaide in the same week. School holidays start on the 15th if that is relevant to anyone. Wow, we could be here forever going on and on about dates and places!
I do think bouyant (may I call you that!) is right and we should make it in Adelaide as that is central for the country folk at this time.

OK... I propose that we make it 20th March, as robw says he can probably make it, and everyone else but John seem to be OK. John may be able to come (if it is at Murray Bridge/Monarto - you can knock an hour off your trip John!)

This looks quite interesting, although expensiveish!

http://www.monartozp.com.au/dir24/ws.nsf/publish/2204

I think general admission to Monarto is in the vicinity of $16-20 each.
Otherwise does anyone know of anywhere that is scenic and in Adelaide that can cater for about 8 of us for a couple of hours?? Or do people want to do the zoo?
I'm open to other suggestions!
Marvin

Postby robw25 on Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:00 pm

marvin
thanks for the link for monarto, i think we need to get together as a group for a couple of hours to get to know each other and then go where the majority want to go as a group, it doesnt have to be in adelaide i will travel wherever so dont worry about making it easier for me.... i will be there !! btw.. i thought they had lions at monarto ??

cheers rob
robw25

Postby BBJ on Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:58 pm

Hi Marvin, and Rob yeh if the 20th suits most well make it that and if i can get there i will. Like i said the zoo or monarto is on my list of too see so what ever you all decide on is fine.
Cheers
John
BBJ

Postby fozzie on Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:10 pm

Hi Marvin,

I vote for Sunday 20 March @ Monarto Zoo.

If it is a goer, time can be dicussed at a later time.

Seeya,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby BBJ on Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:17 pm

If i can make it i am happy with that for sure as have not been there before and could be different and maybe cater for the landscapers as well maybe, with a few of us animals running in the wild LOL.
I speak for myself of course.
BBJ

Postby xorl on Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:30 pm

Thanks for the prod Fozzie.. :)

March 20 is probably as good as anything for me. I've been planning to go to Monarto for a while as well..
Mark
xorl

Postby BBJ on Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:35 pm

Well, now the boss is home from Adelaide as have had 1 kid up there in royal childrens, i might be able to weasle my way up there, but just a thought that others may want to consider that Adelaide will be very hectic so you might want to consider the Monarto zoo as it will be out of the rat race, as Clipsal 500 is on 18-19-20th.
Cheers
John
BBJ

Postby Marvin on Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:55 pm

20th at Monarto is good for me.
Thanks for the heads up about the Clipsal John.
Marvin

Return to Adelaide and Perth