Camera clubs, etc. in Perth

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Camera clubs, etc. in Perth

Postby mickey on Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:38 pm

Morning all,

Just wondering what's going on around Perth? Now that I got a DSLR to play with it's time to put it to use. A friend suggested a model shoot meetup that I might want to come and take pics and it got me thinking what goes on out there.

So what are the clubs/events in Perth? Got links to any clubs you are members of and what benefits (if any) do they have? As I have gone down the Nikon path for now, some Newbie Nikon gathering is probably the most suitable.

cheers!
mickey

Postby adam on Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:58 am

Hi Mickey!

I like the "Photographers in Perth" flickr group, friendly people and quite active socially - have a number of social meets and photo outings and road trips together :)

Otherwise Northern Exposure Photography group ( http://www.nepg.com.au/ ) and Workshop camera club ( http://www.workshopcameraclub.org.au/ ) are the ones I hear of.

edit: here's a list http://www.cameraelectronic.com.au/came ... ronic.html
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:39 am

Or else organise your own DSLRUsers Perth minimeet.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby big pix on Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:22 am

gstark wrote:Or else organise your own DSLRUsers Perth minimeet.

could have had one of these, as I was in Perth wednesday, and having a 1/2 a day off...... having a few beers
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby photograham on Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:47 pm

Here is a link which lists camera clubs in the Perth metro area
http://www.wapf.org.au/metroclubs_list.htm

Pick a couple of clubs and visit their meetings and see if that is what you might like.
photograham

Postby mickey on Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:48 am

thanks guys!
didn't know there were So many camera cIubs out there even suburban based.

considering how Small Perth is I thought there would only be a few
mickey

Postby drsnoopy2 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:19 pm

photograham wrote:Here is a link which lists camera clubs in the Perth metro area
http://www.wapf.org.au/metroclubs_list.htm

Pick a couple of clubs and visit their meetings and see if that is what you might like.

Great information - thanks heaps!

I was just wondering how these clubs were for rank amateurs looking to improve on techniques, picking up tips, sharing etc without feeling too overwhelmed ?

Thanks
drsnoopy2

Postby Antsl on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:53 pm

Hi Mickey,

I was invited along to a Perth camera club a couple of years ago while I was over there on an assignment.... the president of the local club rang the editor of AP to discuss a story I had written and as it happened the editor mentioned i was going to be in town and so I went along.

As it happend that particular night they were having a portrait workshop and in honesty it was the blind leading the blind. They had two or three members of the group leading the others along with three or four models brought along for the occasion. The problem was not the models or the actual lighting equipment available to them.... between the gear and the talent there was no reason why you shouldn't be able to achieve good results. The sad fact was that the leaders did not know what the hell they were doing and in turn they were misleading the others. There was hard tungsten light sources used from a low position (for no reason at all)... multiple flash units used in a style that would be better applied to crime scenes.... it was sad. If you are going to teach people things at least lead them into the right direction and this was not happening at all.

If you are going to learn photography, learn from the people who know what they are doing, otherwise there is everychance you are just going to be learning how to take bad photos.... why move backwards when you are trying to move forwards!?

My advice to you is to hook up with one or two members of this forum from your side of the patch, get together for a coffee, have a look at some of the better photography being commited by some pros about the world and then work about replicating the work that you like...... you need to study some text book and possibly apply some grey matter and lateral thinking but you will gaining more from it than going along week after week to a camera club.

I hope this is a help.
Cheers for now, Antsl
Antsl

Postby photograham on Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:29 pm

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with the general sentiments of Antsl. The club that I am a member of does very little, in fact, nothing, to provide assistance to newcomers and members who are beginners. Many members are protective of their knowledge because if they "teach" you, you might enter club competitions and beat them.
As well as finding other photo nuts, I would suggest finding workshops run by professional photgraphers, and do not limit yourself to only one tutor, as that way, you find their different methods, and adapt them to best suit yourself.
Also, have a look at different photo mags, such as Better Photography and read Antsl's "ravings" in Australian Photography. There are also several overseas mags to check out.
photograham

Postby BullcreekBob on Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:38 pm

Antsl wrote:Hi Mickey,

I was invited along to a Perth camera club a couple of years ago while I was over there on an assignment....

G'day

Why not name and shame ?? It could save a pointless trip.

There is starting to be a few more Perth folk on here, perhaps it's time to arrange a mini meet?
BullcreekBob

Postby drsnoopy2 on Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:55 pm

I would love to attend workshops run by professionals - any hints on how I & others find out about them ? Thanks heaps.
drsnoopy2

Postby asho on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:20 pm

drsnoopy2 wrote:I would love to attend workshops run by professionals - any hints on how I & others find out about them ? Thanks heaps.

Well you appear to be from SA - I would start here - http://sapf.org.au/. I am not part of any of those clubs - but I have had Adelaide & Edwardstown recommended to me.
asho

Postby Antsl on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:41 pm

Hi Guys,

You mention that you are interested in learning off professional photographers but it is worth noting that the best pros... the ones that are worth learning off... are often reluctant to teach, particularly at the recreational level.

There are a few reasons for this.... for one thing, many pros simply value their time. The good guys work hard and will be invoicing $2000 a day and so the idea of spending a day teaching a bunch of amatuer photographers for a couple of hundred dollars is unappealing (particularly when many amatuer photographers are also keen to beat them to the same professional work).

Some of the better photographers are also shy and, believe it or not, not that good at teaching. Most good professional photographers have also had a gutsful of camera clubs who want them to talk to a club simply for the priviledge of the task. The effort that goes into preparing a presentation is usually unrewarded and it never ever seems to have an effect on the work being generated by those clubs. Whats the point!

Then there is a consideration, what is a good professional photographer... is he the guy that is making the most money in photography of the one who is shooting the most innovative work? Which photographer do you prefer to learn from. What if the photographer is working at a level that is way above you anyway? Most good pros are talking about seeing the light and understanding the subject while most recreational photographers are still worried about whether they should use a flash on their camera when they make a photo!

Most amatuer photographers know about 5% of what most professional photographers know about their craft.... trying to convey that other 95% of information does not happen in a weekend workshop... it occurs over years of dedicated study, just like that pro did to get where they are!

Over the past couple of years I have run a couple of one day courses for Melbourne people on this forum and it has been good to work with people who are keen to learn. The aim of the course is not to turn you into a bundle of Ansel Adams or Elliott Erwitts... the aim is simply to get you working with light and seeing just a little more of the equation that goes into making a good photograph. I would be happy to help out in other centres if people are keen.... so long as costs are covered.... it is a good excuse for my partner and I to get away for a few days. Matt K has also talked to the Melbourne crowd on at least one occasion.

As for naming and shaming... I think that is a bit mean but then again, I cannot even remember the name of the club.
Antsl

Postby petermmc on Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:36 pm

I'm in Perth at the moment at a National Irish Dancing Contest at the Convention Centre. No cameras allowed other than 3 Canon Professionals with their 70-200 2.8's. Great city this. Free buses into the city. Great panoramas. Might be a slight change of subject but shouldn't be noticed in this thread.

Go Perth.
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby petermmc on Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:36 pm

I'm in Perth at the moment at a National Irish Dancing Contest at the Convention Centre. No cameras allowed other than 3 Canon Professionals with their 70-200 2.8's. Great city this. Free buses into the city. Great panoramas. Might be a slight change of subject but shouldn't be noticed in this thread.

Go Perth.
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby mickey on Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:03 am

Guess I'll learn how to use the camera first before seeking the aid of others.

Almost to grips with the Nikon menu system on the D40x (coming from Canon) and some pretty good shots so far.

Given the number of clubs around, who would the Perth people consider to be 'pro' and more importantly accommodating of a newbie.
mickey

Postby BullcreekBob on Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:26 pm

mickey wrote:Guess I'll learn how to use the camera first before seeking the aid of others.

Almost to grips with the Nikon menu system on the D40x (coming from Canon) and some pretty good shots so far.

Given the number of clubs around, who would the Perth people consider to be 'pro' and more importantly accommodating of a newbie.

G'day

If you're south try Workshop Camera Club if you're North, try Northern Exposure. Both clubs seem amongst the more active ones, have a range of skills and aren't too bad for welcoming newbies and sharing skills. I've heard some of the other clubs tend to be social groups that shun newbies - no personal experience of that though.

Cheers
Bob in Bull Creek

Other folks may have other opinions - and usually do.
BullcreekBob

Postby benhoskin on Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:24 pm

Thanks for that, will have to try to make it to the southern one!
benhoskin

Return to Adelaide and Perth