Rally SA - August 11th & 12th

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Rally SA - August 11th & 12th

Postby asho on Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:26 pm

Just thought I would post up a note about this for those that aren't aware of this event. It happens through the Adelaide Hills from near Forest Range to near Lyndoch. Now most of the action is around the Mt Crawford Forest spectator area (more information here) but personally I found there are a few too many people especially in the good vantage points. I found some maps of stages on the internet but they were very low res I have actually converted the maps to paths in Google Earth - I have uploaded the kmz file which can be imported into Google Earth of the stuff I have done.

kmz file

If you want to see some of my photos I uploaded some of my files from 2006 into my flickr account here.

I am not suggesting a meet, just thought I would give other users a heads up on an event in the area.
asho

Postby foonji on Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:24 pm

I had a Service pass last year, had friends who had a team entered, and i was there to document for em :)

was fun racing around to get shots of them, did my own rally driving to get around to places.

I had a massive map of all the tracks (but i lost on the last day when i sprinted to the finish line to get pics of them finishing) :(

no point me even trying to apply for a media pass, I'll get laughed at. lol
http://www.franchi.com.au

"This is my Canon, this is my gun; one is for shooting, the other is for fun."
foonji

Postby fozzie on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:44 pm

asho - thank you for the heads up. I will make every endeavour to go on the Sunday.

fozzie
fozzie
Key Member

Postby robw25 on Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:51 pm

is it on the same time every year ? might book holidays for next year ..

cheers rob
robw25

Postby shaunus on Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:29 pm

is it on the same time every year ?

usually always the start of august and its either freezing cold or raining up in mt crawford
you get what you get, always learn from the mistakes
shaunus

Postby asho on Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:40 pm

Yeah not the best time of the year, but the wet weather always makes it fun driving up around there.

I might go for a bit of a drive through some of the areas on the weekend, would love to find a nice jump or creek passing if i can. I will report back here if I find anything of interest.
asho

Postby oli on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:58 pm

A few of us from the Overclockers Au. forum are probably going to be there as well. Nothing definite yet though I think.

I'm hoping to get there on Sunday. :)
Photo gallery online <a href="http://photoden.net/oliver">here</a> and some more on deviantArt <a href="http://oliau.deviantart.com">here</a>.
oli

Postby Aussqueezer on Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:43 pm

I went to the spectator area last year and although crowded managed to get lots of decent photos. The previous year I found out where they were going BUT didnt really get any good photos. The areas that they went past which connected with existing roads had officials stationed at them and the area cordoned off. The maps didnt really tell you the lay of the land either so one of the spots we went to ended up being the cars on the road at the top of the hill and we were down below them. Could only really see the doors upwards.

Will almost certainly be going on Sunday at this stage even though the weather looks like some rain = probably even more rain at Mt Crawford
Aussqueezer

Return to Adelaide and Perth