I need ideas, please

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

I need ideas, please

Postby asho on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:59 pm

Ok, so I am a new member around here (been looking for a while only recently signed up - 10th May) and its my first post.

I purchased a Nikon D50 in January last year, I am mainly into sporting photography particularly motorsport and a little bit of basketball as well.

I recently did a photography course through WEA and have decided that I don't just wont to do motorsport photos that I want to get out into nature and take photos of other things. This kills 2 birds with one stone (so to speak also) it gets me out side and moving and for an overweight person that can only be good for myself.

My problem is I don't really know where to go to take photos.

I live in the northern suburbs of Adelaide and have a car to get around

I have a Nikon D50, 18-55, 18-200, 50 f1.8, SB-800 & Tamron 70-300

To see some of my photos you can visit my flickr account.

Thanks.
asho

Postby Raskill on Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:06 pm

Firstly, welcome aboard. There are some really good photgraphers in here who will be willing to help you, but....

.....I think you should have stuck with motorsport! :wink: :roll:

But, thats just me! :lol:

I don't know any areas around Adelaide, but there are a few SA types here, so they will help you I dare say.

I had alook at tyour site, you have some good stuff there. I like some of your motorsport pics, you seem to have a good panning technique. Lens wise for motorsport, a fast 70-200 F/2.8 is always good.

Look forward to seeing some more from you!
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby Marvin on Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:13 pm

Fozzie and BigV are always heading to the zoo. That may be a good place for you to start getting some ideas. They both have a lot of knowldege and information and are always happy to share it, and I'm sure they would meet you there. What about Glenelg? Or head to McLaren Vale or Victor. I have seen some excellent member photos from there. We have had a couple of meets at Monarto Zoo. Burra has some very nice scenery as does the Riveland. Up around Cleland Wildlife Park is good too (Mount Lofty). The Torrens in the city at night has some good spots as well. I am in the Riverland so can't make it to many meets but there is always something going on.
Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby asho on Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:21 pm

Raskill wrote:Firstly, welcome aboard. There are some really good photgraphers in here who will be willing to help you, but....

.....I think you should have stuck with motorsport! :wink: :roll:

But, thats just me! :lol:

Umm I am not giving up on motorsport, but we don't get a lot of it around Adelaide. I am looking forward to Rally SA coming up in about 6 weeks.
I had alook at tyour site, you have some good stuff there. I like some of your motorsport pics, you seem to have a good panning technique. Lens wise for motorsport, a fast 70-200 F/2.8 is always good.

Look forward to seeing some more from you!

I am happy with my 18-200 for motorsport, rarely would I shoot down as low as f/2.8 so the 18-200 is nice. For those photos on the site there are many duds, still working on the whole panning thing. I was planning on going over to Sandown again this year, but my sister went and had a baby last year and her first birthday falls on the Saturday of Sandown, so I would rather not cop the wrath of the family by going over for Sandown. Bathurst is just a little far to travel for myself - next year hopefully, gotta start looking for accommodation now - know anyone who wants to rent out a house for 3 or 4 car loads of well behaved motorsport fans (that would normally be an oxymoron - but we are well behaved)???
asho

Postby Matt. K on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:19 pm

asho
Welcome aboard! Go for a drive. Park the car wherever you see some paddocks/bush or other vista....and just walk. The landscapes will find you. 8)
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby bwhinnen on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:30 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with Alan, but I too am biased ;)

Other styles of photography are great fun though and so much to learn. There are heaps of places in and around the hills down there. Try up around Basket Range, some fantastic old places that have been made into a B&B etc. Also head out towards the Clare, and through some of the older townships, there are still some original homesteads out that way that look great! Specially around spring when the wheat is getting there :)
bwhinnen

Postby jethro on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:39 pm

Open your mind! look outside the norm. What interests you? sport? fashion? settle on something you like and shoot it.
Cheers
jethro
shoot it real.

look! and see. Shoot and feel
jethro

Return to Adelaide and Perth