Perth late August - suggestions?

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Perth late August - suggestions?

Postby DaveB on Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:58 pm

I'm going to be in the Perth area for a week at the end of this month, tooling around with a photographer buddy in a rental car (in between a few engagements in town).

Does anyone have suggestions for photogenic spots within reasonable (e.g. overnight) reach of Perth at around that time? Any good spots for wildflowers?
DaveB

Postby Justin on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:23 pm

Fremantle is a very obvious suggestion and pretty much the coast between fremantle and perth

Fremantle has a lot of old buildings, markets, coffee shops etc.
D3 | 18-200VR | 50:1.4 | 28:2.8 | 35-70 2.8 | 12-24 f4
picasaweb.google.com/JustinPhotoGallery
"We don't know and we don't care"
Justin

Postby petermmc on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:45 pm

I was there doing some work last week. The city has quite a few good photo opps as well. Around the river in the morning there are some excellent opportunities. Cottesloe (excuse spelling) beach area is also a great spot.

Peter Mc
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby gunn parker on Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:11 am

Hi
Kings park.
South Perth, south side of river.
Queens Gardens, near the WACA.
Perth City it self, maybe Northbridge area.
Kalamunda, Hills area, good night photo's of the city.

Thats about all I can think of right now, depends on where your staying.
Andrew
Fuji Finepix s9500>>>D70s 18-70 lens
gunn parker

Postby obzelite on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:18 am

for wildflowers you will need to head east past york or north to dalwallinu
both could be day trips if you leave early.

freo in the evening for the sunset, kings park late arvo to get some good sun on the city.

you could head to rocko for penguin island, although it may a tad cold to do the walk thru the sea at low tide and the ferry i dont think is running till september.
just bring a big lens cause its less than a km off shore.
they also have the dolphins, but i think you may need to go on a boat to see them cause they are wilder than the monkey mia ones.

dont know if the whales are in but i think they star going past about august as well.

you could cruise for an overnighter down south to albany and do the valley of the giants, and the 40m high walk. They also have some caves down there and the huge surf at margaret river.
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the sum of $10. I named him Mohammed. This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30. My question is, "Have I made a prophet?"
obzelite

Postby DaveB on Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:51 am

Thanks for those suggestions. I've got a reasonable plan for the week laid out so far.

Incidentally, I'm giving a presentation at Workshop Camera Club in Riverton next Wednesday night (the 30th). If you come along be sure to introduce yourself!
DaveB

Postby adam on Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Hi Dave :) Also come check out the university (UWA) if you want :)
What is the topic of your presentation at Workshop Camera Club next week? I may be interested in coming :)

aside:
Last week I bought a Canon Powershot G2 as I wanted to send to you to have it converted it an infra-red camera, but my father tried the camera and likes it too much, so I gave it to him and have to source another one!
adam

Postby gunn parker on Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:47 pm

DaveB wrote:

Incidentally, I'm giving a presentation at Workshop Camera Club in Riverton next Wednesday night (the 30th). If you come along be sure to introduce yourself!

Thats just down the road from me, where in Riverton is it?
Andrew
Fuji Finepix s9500>>>D70s 18-70 lens
gunn parker

Postby DaveB on Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:53 pm

Adam, funnily enough I'm going to talk about infra-red digital a bit... ;)
What is there to see at UWA?

Andrew, directions/times/etc are available at their website.
DaveB

Postby adam on Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:56 pm

Yay~ I'm interested in coming :)

What's at UWA? me! haha - I just find it a nice place to be. Trees, old looking buildings. From http://www.uwa.edu.au/visitors/about/history:

The 65-hectare Crawley campus is widely acclaimed for its grounds and buildings, which are listed in the register of Australian National Estate. There are more than 200 species of plants and trees which enhance the tranquillity and beauty of the grounds, and support more than 55 species of birds.

I just read that, and didn't realise that there were so many species of plants and birds - I don't think I see all of them!

It's about 10 minutes drive from the city (or less).

The other places I like going are already listed here: Kings Park, South Perth, Fremantle, Perth City.
adam

Postby obzelite on Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:08 am

DaveB wrote:Thanks for those suggestions. I've got a reasonable plan for the week laid out so far.

Seems our paths will defiantly cross, I’m a member there.
Just got back from 2nites meeting infact.

For ppl who need to know where it is, it’s across the road from riverton leisureplex, aka the riverton pool on one side and across the other road from KFC and BP

You can come along to 3 meeting to get a feel before you join.
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the sum of $10. I named him Mohammed. This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30. My question is, "Have I made a prophet?"
obzelite

Return to Adelaide and Perth