TAFE WEA courses in SA

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

TAFE WEA courses in SA

Postby rookie2 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:59 am

As a relative newbie with 'bits and pieces' knowledge of dig photography are there any of the current TAFE/WEA/Further Education Dig. Photography courses that Adeladie members could recommend.
I'm on the waiting list for a couple but they all fill out quickly.
I know I can learn a lot from this site (as I've laready done) and look forward to meeting face to face wtih some of you at the next meet to pick your brains but feel the need to commit to a regular course in order to do things in a more ordered fashion.
due to work and family commitments my learning is a real hotch potch of magazines, i-net and trial and error - hence desire to do a basic course to cover the essentials.
thanks
rookie2
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Rookie2

http://www.DLdigital.smugmug.com
rookie2

Postby greencardigan on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:17 pm

A mate of mine did a WEA photography course in NSW. Apparently he didn't get much out of it. Might be OK if it gives you the motivation to get out and take pics.
greencardigan

Re: TAFE WEA courses in SA

Postby oli on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:18 pm

Why do you feel that your previous way of learning is a bad thing? To be honest I think if you did a course not only would you cover many areas which you are allready familiar with, but you'd also skim over all other aspects of photography so briefly that you will want more from the areas you are really interested in which such courses (from my knowledge) do not provide.

I would suggest adding 'books' to your list of magazines, internet, and trial and error. There are many excellent instructional/reference type photography books available, and if you have a busy schedule because of the work and family commitments you mention at least a book can fit in to that timetable easier than a set course can.

The TAFE and similar courses are usually so brief that they don't cover any one area in real depth, and the alternative University courses are so indepth and breed photographers who I've found are often elitist and completely stuck up.

Good luck. 8)
Photo gallery online <a href="http://photoden.net/oliver">here</a> and some more on deviantArt <a href="http://oliau.deviantart.com">here</a>.
oli

Postby pgatt on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:22 pm

I'm doing a Cert IV Tafe Course in Photoimaging. Just found out I got in yesterday. Let you know how it looks once I get more detail, but I'm excited to be challenged and qualified at the end of it (hopefully).
pgatt

Postby xorl on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:34 pm

Check out The Centre for Creative Photography. They run courses which are accredited the same as TAFE - I'm working on Cert IV in Photoimaging myself at night. If you have done a lot of self study and experimentation you might not get gain much new technical knowledge, but the assignments/informal lectures are a good way to push yourself into trying new things and develop an artistic sense.

The next term starts on Monday so you will need to call them quick if you want to sneak in.
Mark
xorl

photo courses

Postby rookie2 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:59 pm

thanks for the range of advice - always appreciated. I'll stick to my trial and error & reading method until I get into something that seems to fit my needs.
its always hard to know how little or how much one actually knows :?
none of the CCP courses quite suit me but its another source I wasnt aware of in Adelaide. I will keep an eye on their site - some interesting workshops in the future.

Pgatt - I'll be interested to see how the Cert IV course goes. what will it qualify you as - where do you hope to go with it?

til then eyes and shutters open!
cheers
rookie2
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Rookie2

http://www.DLdigital.smugmug.com
rookie2

i agree...

Postby Artemis the Phoenix on Fri May 19, 2006 3:00 am

xorl wrote:Check out The Centre for Creative Photography. They run courses which are accredited the same as TAFE - I'm working on Cert IV in Photoimaging myself at night. If you have done a lot of self study and experimentation you might not get gain much new technical knowledge, but the assignments/informal lectures are a good way to push yourself into trying new things and develop an artistic sense.

The next term starts on Monday so you will need to call them quick if you want to sneak in.

i just read oli's post * wave* and have to agree with him also .. WEA courses really are far too breif if you already know the basic in's and out's of photography AND your camera dont waste your time.... the CCP is a FANTASTIC privately run school ... as a past student i can vouch they have everything you could possibly need. check the website for term dates otherwise just give them a call to pick a few brains
have no fear of perfection you'll never reach it
Artemis the Phoenix

Postby bindiblue on Fri May 19, 2006 8:43 am

I did a tafe course in QLD and to be honest I learnt very little, I think trial and error goes a long way,, join a local camera club, which I did, the best money I ever spent, bonus for me as an older gentleman took me under his wing, so get lots of outtings to play and learn,,

And this forum is just brillient, I have had heaps of advice from the guys here,

Just my 2 bobs worth,,

Suzanne
Nikon D200, 24-120mm VR, 70-300 ED, SB800 flash, Manfrotto tripod,
bindiblue

Postby gstark on Fri May 19, 2006 9:06 am

There is no substitute for just getting out with your camera and shooting. Set the camera into aperture mode and start shooting.

If you set yourself a task - shooting bridges, trees, dogs, cats, faces, buses, birds, trash cans ... whatever, the list is as long as your imagination - you then just go out and shoot whatever you wish within the gamut of that subject.

Do not rely though, upon the image in the camera's display to render an accurate representation of exposure. Do use this display to check compostition and focus, but check the histogram to ensure reasonable exposure.

Get back to your computer and review your work. Review your EXIF data to see what settings your camera chose, and try to understand why.

Post some examples of problems you're encountering, or issues that you don't understand, here.

Make whatever adjustments you deem necessary in order to improve your technique and redo the exercise.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby rookie2 on Fri May 19, 2006 10:10 am

note - my original post february
WEA courses attended since = 0
trial and error shoots by self = 100s
shoots with adelaide forum members = 2
forum use = on going
learning = never stops
photos = still crap but at least I know why now!

when skills good enough the CCp might be a goer.

cheers
R2

long live the dslr forum
rookie2

Postby oli on Fri May 19, 2006 11:42 am

Haha
Nice work mate! Keep it up. :) PS. *wave to Artemis*
Photo gallery online <a href="http://photoden.net/oliver">here</a> and some more on deviantArt <a href="http://oliau.deviantart.com">here</a>.
oli

Postby Nosh on Fri May 19, 2006 2:07 pm

Take an art class !!! Will probably help you more than the TAFE or WEA courses.

Nosh.
Nosh

Return to Adelaide and Perth