Comp progress

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby leek on Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:25 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Leek,
What's the story behind this? a demonstration? Hit and run?
Or
A mistress was hit by other half of one of our member :lol: :lol:

I've put a description of the shot in the voting forum, but here it is again:

I wrote:I took this photo during a Sunday stroll through Hyde Park, Sydney. There was a gathering of people demonstrating in favour of Chinese defector Chen Yonglin. All the media were present, but they were focussing on the main speakers. Off to the side, I saw a small group of people practising for a dramatised performance that would follow the speeches.
The people in white represented members of the Falun Gong movement and showed how they were beaten, attacked and arrested by the Chinese Secret Police.
The wounds were not real, but were nevertheless very realistic.
I thought that it would be a good PJ style entry in the competition, so here it is...

No humans were harmed in the making of this photograph...

nnnnsic wrote:Leek, that looks like a combination of Gel FX and corn syrup blood to me...

Quite possibly - you're the expert... The bruising around the neck was pretty impressive too!!!
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:23 pm

In other words John, a staged shot :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby leek on Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:29 pm

Hahah... I was waiting for someone to bring that up... :lol: :lol:

The subject was staged... but definitely not for my benefit...
The shot was definitely not staged as they weren't aware of me until I asked their permission afterwards...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby stubbsy on Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:32 pm

leek wrote:Hahah... I was waiting for someone to bring that up... :lol: :lol:

The subject was staged... but definitely not for my benefit...
The shot was definitely not staged as they weren't aware of me until I asked their permission afterwards...

Lively discussion - staged or not the image is a powerful one. Same applies to many of the other Decisive Moments
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby ozczecho on Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:02 pm

I would also like to thank the organisers for putting up such a competition. I have only been really taking photos since I got my D70 in Jan 05, before that I was using PS camera with little regard to its technicalities.

Part of the fun in learning is this forum. To read what people get upto and to see what pictures they take is pure inspiration to take more shots and push yourself to learn more - not just about the camera but also the surrounds.

This is the first photo comp I have entered and still aint sure if I interpreted the theme correctly or not. Some people say you can stage an event some say not and the debate continues...

Anyway I took heaps of images that day and what I tried to capture is the couples feelings at a point in time in these beautiful surroundings...is it decisive or a happy snap?...I guess I'll find out this weekend.

Here is an alternate image I took where the mood is completely different to the one I submitted to the competition.

All the best to all the entrants

Mike B

ozczecho

Postby stubbsy on Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:11 am

Mike

For me I actually prefer this image to the one you submitted. More story somehow - the other one the couple seem content - this one has more frisson to it. Did she say no? Is he just tired? is he crying from the joy of acceptance?

You know if you give people a choice they'll never agree on a single image - I'll bet you get a range of views on which is the better image - ultimately the only person's advice which counts is that you give yourself.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Andoru on Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:54 am

About the kendo photo I asked earlier...

Terry where are you? Are you one of the practising kendoka at the Sydney Kendo Club?
Andoru

Postby ozczecho on Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:43 pm

stubbsy wrote:Mike

You know if you give people a choice they'll never agree on a single image - I'll bet you get a range of views on which is the better image - ultimately the only person's advice which counts is that you give yourself.

stubbsy, too right...I also liked this one better, but family and friends wanted to see the happy ending. What I like is how this image is leaning towards a blue tinge, giving it a cooler feel - vs the image entered a more yellow and warm tinge...its amazing how much light plays a part...

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike
ozczecho

Postby thaddeus on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:03 pm

ozczecho wrote:stubbsy, too right...I also liked this one better, but family and friends wanted to see the happy ending

I think there's a lesson there - got with your gut feel!
thaddeus

Postby Yedrup on Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:32 pm

About the kendo photo I asked earlier...

Terry where are you? Are you one of the practising kendoka at the Sydney Kendo Club?

No I am not a participant in the sport. I approached the organisation and requested permission to photograph their training sessions as part of my photographic improvement and entry to the challenge. They very kindly allowed me to attend any session I wished. I initially went to UNSW to view the Kata and was disappointed with the result (my imagery not the activity). I returned to UNSW for the advanced training and again disappointment (flash problems mainly and poor backdrop). My final opportunity came on the final Saturday of the challenge when I went to the mixed training at Willoughby.

Although I took a vast number of images it was very difficult to isolate one as worthy of entering (principally due to the huge crowd of participants). The one I finally entered showed the Aust Nat Champion commence the strike on a very young boy, the final blow was impressive and the fact the youngster survived does credit to his toughness, training, armour and the accuracy of Kirby.

Overall a great sport that my photographic skills couldn't show to its real power, speed, artistry and explosive energy.

I will be taking the organisation a cd of shots that I think may be of interest to them as I promised (just have to process them :oops: :oops: )

Cheers,
Terry
"Photography is not about cameras, gadgets and gismos. Photography is about photographers. A camera didn't make a great picture any more than a typewriter wrote a great novel." -Peter Adams, Sydney 1978
Yedrup

Postby Andoru on Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:33 pm

Ah I remember you! If you'd like to take more kendo related photos, Founders' Cup 2005 is next week! Check out NSW Kendo Assoc's website for details.
Andoru

Previous

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas