Sunrise 4th August Macquarie Lightstation - keep your feet d

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby biggerry on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:33 pm

Pre - annual entertainment, something a bit different, Macquarie Light house

I am gonna get there early and see if there is anything in sky in terms of stars/milkway, this possie has a half decent southward looking direction

Sunrise is about 6:50am
Tide, carefactor zero.
meeting spot and time: PM or txt me.
Weather: cloudy and clearing..

Will head from here to Bondi and checkout a location (potentially some bigstopper action on the pools) there before heading Gary's

Australia's oldest lighthouse stands as a beacon to Sydney Harbour and still provides a light to guide ships entering the Heads. The lighthouse was built in 1818 on the cliff top at South Head. Designed by convict architect Francis Greenway, it was constructed of sandstone quarried on site. When the stone began to erode a new lighthouse was built by James Barnet in 1883. The light is now operated by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority. The grounds are open year-round and you can explore the historic lighthouse on our regular tours.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Re: Sunrise 4th August Macquarie Lightstation - keep your fe

Postby aim54x on Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:10 pm

Dammit....another morning that I won't be able to make it....soon my friends...soon
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Remorhaz on Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:03 am

OK - we're either going to get completely clear skies or completely clouded over... why... because this mornings sunrise was totally epic, and thats not going to happen again :)
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby Elver on Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:28 pm

I'm keen. I'll PM you Gerry.
EOS 5D MkII, 70-200mm f/2.8LIS, 24-70mm f/2.8LIS, 50mm f/1.2, 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS, 580EX II
Elver

Postby surenj on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:43 pm

Keen bananas.
surenj

Postby biggerry on Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:52 pm

was fun :) cheers for the company chaps..

pre-dawn

welcome to dustbunny heaven

post sunrise, pano-saurus

biggerry

Postby biggerry on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:02 pm

and for kicks and giggles a bW version

biggerry

Postby Remorhaz on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:13 am

Hi Gerry - I like what you've done in the processing of #4 - I was wondering what you were doing down there :)

I also took a similar shot to your #3 - I like yours better than mine (mine "feels" more distorted (prob because I think I'm closer cropped)) but whilst I reckon the compo and image looked good on the back of the camera and I liked the way the early light was hitting the grass and the building - I don't feel like it worked in either yours or mine (in that it doesn't seem to convey how I felt the image was going to when I was shooting them at the time if you know what I mean).

and I'll see your mono and raise you mine... :)
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Remorhaz

Postby aim54x on Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Looks like you guys did alright out there, yesterday
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby biggerry on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 pm

aim54x wrote:Looks like you guys did alright out there, yesterday

was ok, its good to get to a different location and see what you can do with it..

Remorhaz wrote:Hi Gerry - I like what you've done in the processing of #4 - I was wondering what you were doing down there :)

on my knees as always, i f'ed this one up, over exposed it on three goes, but i liked teh composition.

Remorhaz wrote:I also took a similar shot to your #3 - I like yours better than mine (mine "feels" more distorted (prob because I think I'm closer cropped)) but whilst I reckon the compo and image looked good on the back of the camera and I liked the way the early light was hitting the grass and the building - I don't feel like it worked in either yours or mine (in that it doesn't seem to convey how I felt the image was going to when I was shooting them at the time if you know what I mean).

mine was a 5 or 6 pano shot so hopefully some of that distortion has been lost. I do understand what you mean about the warm golden colour hitting teh grass and the house, it looks more like someone has pissed on the picture. I found it hard to capture the white of the house and also maintain the warm glow and colour of the light... oh well next time.

Remorhaz wrote:and I'll see your mono and raise you mine... :)

:up:
biggerry

Postby Remorhaz on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:04 am

biggerry wrote:
Remorhaz wrote:I also took a similar shot to your #3 - I like yours better than mine (mine "feels" more distorted (prob because I think I'm closer cropped)) but whilst I reckon the compo and image looked good on the back of the camera and I liked the way the early light was hitting the grass and the building - I don't feel like it worked in either yours or mine (in that it doesn't seem to convey how I felt the image was going to when I was shooting them at the time if you know what I mean).

mine was a 5 or 6 pano shot so hopefully some of that distortion has been lost. I do understand what you mean about the warm golden colour hitting teh grass and the house, it looks more like someone has pissed on the picture. I found it hard to capture the white of the house and also maintain the warm glow and colour of the light... oh well next time.

Ahh that explains it - I don't use pano's nearly enough... I should think a bit more :)

NB: it wasn't just the colour on the house - my memory of the scene when I was taking it was light raking shadows across the grass, with slight mounds and hollows being bright and shadowed, the grass having this sort of hyperdetailed look with the dew on the it and the warm light very sidelighting it.
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Remorhaz

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas